From the History of Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana up to 1883
John Puckett was born in Martinsville, Ohio on January 7th, 1836.His parents, Joseph and Mary Holloway Puckett were born in our subject’s native county, and the bones of their ancestors’ lie buried there.They were of English descent, and were among the pioneer settlers of Howard County, Indiana, located near the Cass County line in 1847.They were married in Martinsville, Ohio in 1828, and after residing for a while in Howard County, they moved to the state of Iowa, where they resided until their deaths; that of Joseph in 1880 at the age of 67, and that of his wife, Mary, in 1881 at the age of 70.Joseph had followed during his life the vocations of physician and carpenter.
John, our subject, was the fourth of a family of 15 children, eight of whom are still living.During his youth, he learned the blacksmith’s and wagon maker’s trade, which he followed until his 23rd year.Between the years 1847-1854, he was frequently over Tipton County, and about the time last named, he located at Tetersburg, Tipton, Indiana, and conducted business of a blacksmith and wagon shop for three years.
In 1857, he was married to Martha Black, the issue of which union were six children, of four who are living; Scott Anderson, Ellsworth, Frances Ann, Olive Alice, and Sarah Elizabeth. William A. died at the age of seven.Grant T. Sherman died at the age of four.
In 1857, he moved upon a track of wild land containing forty acres, upon which he paid not a dollar, and which was utterly destitute of stock.He worked on this place to support himself and his family for four years.In 1861, he sold his forty acres and purchased 80 acres, which he cultivated for one year.He then sold out and began merchandising in Normanda, Indiana for one year.He then moved his stock of goods to Pickard’s Mill in Clinton County, Indiana, where he formed a partnership with his uncle, Moses Puckett.That same year he purchased a farm, on which he now resides.In 1866, he again purchased a store in Tetersburg, where he successfully carried on business for several years.
He then sold out and again embarked in merchandising at Pickard’s, losing four thousand dollars.Since that time, he has confined himself exclusively to agricultural pursuits and the raising of stock.In 1869, having been previously deserted by her, he obtained a divorce from his wife, Martha.He married Mrs. Mary J. Woodruff in 1874.By his second marriage, he has three children, two of who are still alive; Effie Margaret, Allie Delphie, and James A., who died at the age of two.
Not withstanding his misfortune, Mr. Puckett is one of our most successful farmers and businessmen.He is the owner of five hundred acres in the Jefferson Township, and he is also the owner of one of the finest collection of fruit trees, 1,500 in number, in Tipton County.He owns two farms, well stocked and improved in Iowa.He is always in front ranks of those favoring public improvements.He is a stanch republican politically, and has always taken a leading part in managing the affairs of his party in Tipton County.
He is now spoken of as a formidable candidate for the nomination of joint senator for the counties of Tipton and Hamilton.He is a member of the I.O.O.F., which he esteems highly.He is industrious and economical, but his purse is never closed to the appeal of indigence and want.
The Tetersburg Christian Church is the oldest religious organization in the township at the present time, and dates back its history as far as 1849.This church building cost four hundred dollars.
After Shoemaker came the following pastors to wit; Abraham Cole, Samuel Poff, John Poff, George Boswell, Henry Pickett, James Humphrey, William Dunfree, Mr. Peck, John Puckett, John R. Kob, Mr. Williams, John Layman, D. W. Fowler, and B. F. Jaynes, the present pastor.There are forty members belonging at this time.