Not my family line, just sharing.
The following Biographical sketch was copied from the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI, INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers. 1883.
Page 217 City of Monticello.
"W. P. CROWELL was born in Grant County, Indiana, May 22, 1842, and of the eight children born to his parents, JOHN and SUSANNAH (WINSLOW) CROWELL, only three sons and one daughter are now living. The CROWELL family is of English origin, and their genealogy is traced back six generations to OLIVER CROMWELL. They then bore the name of CROMWELL, but, owing to the odium connected therewith, dropped the "m" in the name in this country. For over 200 years, members of this family resided in North Carolina, where there is a town named in their honor, and they were widely known as large plantation and slave owners. On his removal North, JOHN CROWELL located in Grant County, engaged in farming, and died in 1857. MRS. CROWELL is yet living, and resides in St. Joseph, (Berrien County) Michigan. W. P. CROWELL, until sixteen years old, remained in his native county, receiving a good district school education. He began the study of medicine, but owing to ill-health was compelled to relinquish this, substituting dentistry in its stead. April 27, 1861, directly after the fall of Ft. Sumter, he enlisted in Company H, Twelfth Indiana Volunteer Infantry; participated in the Battle of Winchester and various skirmishes, and was discharged in June of 1862, on the expiration of his term of service. DR. CROWELL then formed a partnership with his cousin, DR. WINSLOW, in the practice of dentistry at Lewisville, Henry County (Indiana). In 1863, he opened an office alone in Tipton, (Tipton County, Indiana) where he was doing a good business, when, on the President's last call for troops in 1864, he began recruiting what afterward became Company K, One Hundred and Fifty-third Indiana Volunteers, and was commisioned Second Lieutenant, afterward being promoted to the First Lieutenancy. The spring of 1865, he was appointed Aide-de-Camp on COL. CAREY's staff of the First Brigade, Second Division, Twenty-third Army Corps, under GEN. BURNSIDE. After the close of the war, DR. CROWELL returned to Indiana, and in 1867 recommenced the practice of his profession at Delphi, (Carroll County)in partnership with DR. JOURDAN, but in 1869, the last year of his stay there, he opened a branch office in Attica, Indiana. In 1869, he practiced in Logansport, (Cass County) with DR. BUDD as a partner, and the same year opened a branch office in Monticello, (White County) to which place he removed in 1871. He has remained here ever since, and his superior workmanship has established him a first class business. He is a Freemason, a Republican, and was married August 16, 1872, to Miss C. L. McDonald, of Delphi, their union being blessed with three children - LUELLA, JESSE W. and WILLIAM R."