HISTORY OF WABASH COUNTY, INDIANA
DR. ANDREW J. SMITH, was born in Champaign County, Ohio, December 30, 1830. His parents lived on their farm a few miles west of Urbana where the Doctor remained until eighteen years of age. His parents were of German descent, frugal, honest and industrious, from whom he inherited that indomitable energy so characteristic of his life. Limited means and opportunities often awaken a latent purpos and nerve the arm for greater achievements. The fettered intellect longs for mightier fields of conquest, and gazes, as the shipwreck mariner far out upon the great ocean, with a nameless longing. As a rule our best men come not from the cradle of wealth nor the couch of luxury, but from the humble walks of life, from the workshop and the farm. Difficulties present themselves, mountains rise in the pathway, chasms yawn here and there, but these only awaken in the breast of him who is truly great a quicker throb of determination. His combativeness is aroused, and with his eye upon the goal at the end of the race he perseveres. Let honor be given to whom honor is due; and he who meets alone the battles of life, and conquers its difficulties and himself, is deserving of the honor. DR. A. J. SMITH acquired such education as was possible in the district schools. But these droppings from the fountain of knowledge only added intensity to the parched and fervid desire for learning. At the age of eighteen, enthusiastic and wholly self-reliant, he determined to draw nearer where he might drink more deeply. In 1848, he entered the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, where he continued his studies for one year. He then passed to Miami University at Oxford, where for three years he alternately taught and attended college. In 1852, he was married to MISS. HENRETTA D. ROSE, of Milford Center, Ohio, and the following year moved to Somerset, Ind., where for four years he pursued the study of medicine in the office of DR. DICKEN. In the winter of 1856 and 1857, he attended a course of medical lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill. In the autumn of 1857, he moved to Wabash and engaged in the practice of his profession. In 1858, owing to failing health he retired from the practice and spent two years in the country. Regaining his health he returned to his work with all the zeal and ardor of the rising young physician. In 1863, he was appointed by GOV. O. P. MORTON, Senior Assistant Surgeon of the Second Indiana Cavalry, in which position he served with great acceptance for two years, participating in the various skirmishes and battles incident to the cavalry service. Ready, self sacrificing, patient, enduring, by his noble acts of kindness to the sick and wounded, he won for himself the esteem and admiration of the entire command. At the expiration of his term of service, he returned to his home in Wabash, and to the great comfort of this patrons, to the practice of his profession. He associated himself with DRS. GILLEN & BENNETT, which alliance was terminated by limitation in the fall of 1870. Desiring to perfect himself more fully in his chosen work, he re-entered the Chicago Medical College for a term of six months, and graduated March 14, 1871. Fully equipped to meet successfully the difficulties of the profession, he again returned to Wabash. Since January, 1874, he had been associated with DR. R. T. BLOUNT, a gentleman of high standing in the profession, and of far more than ordinary moral and mental attainments. DR. SMITH is a member of the American Medical Association, the State Medical Society and the Wabash County Medical Society. He is a member of the Masonic Order and also of the I. O. O. F. He is a member in high standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and holds the office of Trustee of that society. He is the father of six xhildren, one of whom died in infancy -- GERALDINE ROSE, born May 16, 1853; ALICE L., born February 18, 1856; DAVID WARREN, born March 22, 1858; H. IDA, born May 16, 1865; infant son, born and died April 09, 1867; ANNA L., born August 12, 1868. On the 4th of March 1881, he lost his beloved wife. Silently and unexpectedly the messenger came; but what was her husband's and children's loss was heaven's gain. A devoted Christian, a loving mothr, a faithful wife, she was beloved and mourned by all who knew her. July 14, 1878, she united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. She was connected with all the various branches of Christian work, and her daily life shone as an example of that which she professed.
Source: Page: 262History of Wabash County, Indiana 1884 - Wabash Township