From the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F. A. Battey & CO., Publishers. 1883." page 307, Jackson Township, White County, Indiana
"W. S. DAVIS was born in August 19, 1816, in Butler County, Ohio, and was the eldest of the nine children - five yet living - born to GEORGE and CATHERINE (MILLER) DAVIS, natives of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. GEORGE DAVIS died in Cass County, Indiana, in the fall of 1844; his widow married JAMES McDOWELL, and died in Carroll County, Indiana, in March, 1873, aged seventy-seven years. W. S. DAVIS was reared a farmer, but served an apprenticeship of two years at the carpenter's trade. He was married, in 1840, to MISS MARGARET THOMPSON, of Wayne County, Indiana, but a native of New Jersey. MRS. DAVIS died in the fall of 1860, leaving three children - CATHERINE, FLORENCE (deceased) and JULIA. In 1840, MR. DAVIS moved to this township, engaged in farming seven years; then moved to Burnettsville, where in 1849, he built the first frame building, which is still standing. He also assisted in building the court house at Monticello. In 1850, he opened a general store in partnership with AARON HICKS. He was appointed Postmaster, and filled the office for many years. He bought out his partner's interest and conducted the business on his own account until the fall of 1875, when he moved to Idaville, where he is now doing an extensive trade. In June, 1861, he married MARILLA (IMES) SHEPHERD, of Burnettsville, a native of Ohio, and daughter of WILLIAM and LYDIA IMES. MR. DAVIS is a Democrat, and has served as Road Supervisor and School Trustee; he is a Freemason, and MRS. DAVIS is a member of the Presbyterian Church."