8. Sergeant William H. Carney Memorial Academy Elm and Summer Streets This school was renamed in memory of Sergeant William H. Carney, the first African-American to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor. It was formerly the Clarence A. Cook School until the early 1970s.
9. Sergeant William H. Carney Memorial Homestead 128 Mill Street Built in 1850, this home was occupied by the Carneys until 1939 when his daughter, Clara, a music teacher, died. The present owners, the Martha Briggs Educational Club, Inc., then bought the home. Mr. Carney, who died in 1908, was buried after an elaborate funeral, which was attended by local, state, and national figures. This house is also believed to have been used during the Underground Railroad when Mr. Carney's in-laws, the Williams, lived there. http://www.newbedford-ma.gov/Tourism/DestinationNB/BlackHeritage.htmlhttp://www.newbedford-ma.gov/Tourism/DestinationNB/BlackHeritage.html