I believe I have found where Hannah "Cheney" Cummings went after her husband, Capt. Leonard Cummings 1779 to 1834 died in Plymouth, Grafton, New Hampshire. Please look at what I have and please contact me with any questions or additional information concerning this time period in New York.
My 2nd great grandmother, Emily A. Cummings was born in Nassau, Rensselaer, New York in Dec 1844. I finally found her and her father, Joseph Cummings, on the 1860 US Census with a sister, Olive Cummings, but no wife. In my research on Joseph, I found he was the son of Capt. Leonard Cummings & wife, Hannah "Cheney" Cummings of New Hampshire.
1. I then did a search in Rensselaer County, New York, first in 1850, then in 1840 and found on the 1840 US Census a Hannah Cummings in the correct age group to be the widow of Capt. Leonard Cummings of New Hampshire with two sons in the correct age group to be Joseph & William Cummings, two sons of Capt. Leonard Cummings & wife, Hannah "Cheney" Cummings.
2. On the 1850 US Census, I found William Cummings, married with family and mother, Hannah Cummings of the correct age living in Lyndon, Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Both William and Hannah are listed as being born in New Hampshire and both at the correct age.
Timeline for Joseph Cummings in New York State.
1. 1840, Hannah's husband has passed away and she moves to Nassau, Rensselaer, New York with two sons, Joseph age 15 and William age 14.
2. By 1843, Joseph is age 18 and more then likely married in Nassau, NY and had two children, Emily and Olive.
3. By 1850, Joseph has divorced his first wife and moved to Freetown, Bristol, Massachusetts where he meets and marries his 2nd wife, Susan T. Howland. On the 1850 US Census they are living with Susan's parents, where they have their first child, Alonzo G. Commings born in March 1850.
4. Also by 1850, Hannah, Joseph's mother and her son William has moved to Lyndon, Sheboygan, Wisconsin.Wiliam who is now married with a 1 yr. old son.
5. On the 1860 US Census, taken in June 1850, for Freetown, Bristol, Massachusetts, it shows Joseph at home. Or maybe he wasn't at home at the time?
6. On the 1860 US Census, taken in Sept. 1850, for Nassau, Rensselaer, New York, Joseph shows up with Emily and Olive, his daughters from his firth wife. (I feel he was their to spend some time with his daughters.)
7. From this point on, Joseph lives in Freetown, Bristol County and Taunton, Bristol County, Massachusetts until he dies in Omaha, Nebraska in 1866.
(What in the heck he was doing in Omaha, Nebraska is anyone's guess. LOL)
So, there is plenty of time for Joseph Cummings to get married in Nassau, NY, have two daughters, get divorced in Nassau, NY before moving to Bristol County, Massachusetts and marry his 2nd wife, Susan by 1850.
Why Hannah "Cheney" Commings moved to Nassau, Rensselaer County, New York by 1840 is anyone's guess as well. She DID NOT die and get buried in New Hampshire where her husband, Capt. Leonard Cummings, died.
If any of this is of interest or looks familiar to you or you have any questions, I would like to hear from you concerning my findings of what happened to Hannah "Cheney" Cummings after her husband, Capt. Leonard Cummings died in Plymouth, Grafton, New Hampshire.