According to Ena Crane's "History of Whately Massachusetts 1791-1991", there are 3 cemeteries in town, all as old as the town itself. Page 40 "With practical consideration of spring flooding, each of the three cemeteries was laid out on high ground. East Whately's on Hopewell Hill on the south side of Depot Road, the first rise above the Connecticut (River); the Center, largest of the three, on the west side of Chestnut Plain Road; West Whately's on three upland terraces on the south east curve of Webber Road." Also notes the earliest marked grave in East Whately is Joseph Sanderson, 20 March 1772, West Whately's earliest headstone is Clarissa Bardwell, d/o Lt. Noah Bardwell, 15 Dec. 1776. Center Cemetery's oldest grave is Esther Bardwell, wife of Daniel Morton, died 27 Oct. 1762.