From: Lake Ann, Small but Friendly The 1st Brooks family to settle in Almire Twp. came from Mentor, Ohio in 1867. Fitch Brooks came with his wife and children. They established themselves on a fram near Oviatt on Brooks Lake. In 1868 Thomas and Mariah Brooks came with their sons Cook and Thural, their daughers Lydia and Martha, and Martha's husband William Lapham. They also were from the same place in Ohio. They all moved in with Fith and family until they found their own farms. At his time there were approx. 15 Brooks family members located in Almira Twp. Around 1900 ed and Jenny Brooks bought a home on the corner of Sweet Lake and Fowler Rds, which was known as Almira Corners. This property has been owned by the Brooks descendents since the origonal purchase. The house had been one of the origonal stores at Almira Corners. Approximately 100 descendents of Thomas and Mariah Brooks held the 98th Reunion in their honor and memory at the Almira Twp. Hall in July 1996.