One of Royal Oak's oldest native residents, Mrs. Mary Barnard, age 70, 606 East Lincoln Avenue, died Thursday afternoon at St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital, Pontiac, after a brief illness.
Born Feb. 4, 1869, at the corner of Nine Mile and Ridge Roads, Mrs. Barnard's parents were Benjamin and Mary Parker. Of her nine brothers and sisters, only Mrs. Walter Jones Of Detroit survives. At the age of eighteen, Mary Parker became the wife of Payson Knowles and moved to their first home, still standing today at 524 East Lincoln Avenue/ Two sons were born to them, Alfred and Edward. OPENED FIRST MILK STATION Shortly after their marriage, Mr and Mrs. Knowles opened the first milk station in Royal Oak, on the site where now stands the Howarth Building. Fifty years ago the farmers for miles around hauled milk to the station, which the couple in turn drove over mud and plank roads to the main station on the east side of Detroit.After an illness of about two years, Mr. Knowles died and the young wife was left to run the station with only the help of a hired man. She sometmes would make the long haul to Detroit herself, with the wheels of the wagon, usually drawn by four horses, bogging in the mud to the axels. SUBDIVIDED FARM In 1894, Mrs. Knowles became the wife of William Truesdell. When Royal Oak started to grow rapidly the couple subdivided their property into what was called the Truesdell Addition. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Truesdell, Roy and Edna, the latter now deceased. William Truesdell died in 1909. On Sept. 4, 1912, Mrs. Truesdell was married to Frank Barnard in the present Evangelical Church at Sixth and Lafayette Avenue. Mrs. Barnard joined the church at that time and has been a member since. A few years after their marriage, the Barnards built a new home next to the old farm house, and Mrs. Barnard resided there, 606 East Lincoln Avenue, until her death. Besides her husband and sister, Mrs. Barnard leaves two sons, Roy Truesdell and Edward Knowles, both of Royal Oak, and three grandchildren, Alfred Knowles, and Dorothy and Shirley Truesdell. The body was taken to the home at noon today and will remain there until 11 a.m., Saturday. Funeral service will be held at 2:00 p.m. Saturday, in the Clarence F. Schnaidt chapel, 430 North Washington Avenue. Interment will be at Royal Oak Cemetery. Notes: Alfred Payson Knowles, s/o William H. Knowles, and 3rd wife Mrs. Amelia S. Montgomery. (Portrait and Biographical Album) Mary was one of 12 children according to her mother's obituary. Her mother was Mary Ann Carver daughter of Achsah(Axcy) Smith and Zalman Carver of Auburn (Hills) Michigan. (Achsah d/o Eben. Smith of Cayuga Co. NY.) Mary's father was Benj. Parker b. 1820 Eng. This family is most all buried in Royal Oak Cemetery, including the Parkers. Mrs. (Rosa)Walter Jones was born Rosa Madora Parker who 1st married John Almeron Cline of Bloomfield Twp, s/o Henry A. Cline and Jeanette/Genette L. Rockwell.