Page 667 Portrait and Biographical Album
JOHN L. CAMPBELL, M. D. Among the professional men located in Birmingham, not one probably had a harder time in securing tbe education he desired than Mr. Campbell. He worked his way through school and had to battle against discouragement, as his father and the family disapproved of his decision to study medicine and gave him no sympathy in his course. The young man was determined, however, to enter the profession, and in due time received his diploma and was ready to practice. He has been located in Birmingham since 1883, when he bought out Dr. James A. Post. He has a large and lucrative practice, giving him all the work he can well attend to, and his reputation is firmly established.
Welcome Campbell, father of our subject, was born in Paris, Oneida. County, N. Y., July 20, 1810, to Roswell and Abigail Campbell. That good couple were born in New York and the husband was descended from an old Connecticut family of Scotch extraction. He eventually came to Michigan and died in Oakwood, this county. His wife had breathed her last in New York. Welcome Campbell was reared in his Native State and lived there until 1834, when. he came to this county and bought land in Oxford Township. The place was known for many years as Campbell Corners but the name was finally changed to Oakwood. While he lived there he followed lumbering, merchandising, coopering and farming.In 1859 he traded the property for farm land, in Royal Oak Township, where he lived many years. When ready to retire from active life he turned his farm over to his sons and removed to the village of Royal Oak, where he died November 11, 1888.
When Welcome Campbell came to this State he was very poor, and his capital when be reached this county was $5 in cash. He was active, energetic and ambitious, and made a success of his life here, both in acquiring means and in elevating the condition of the community. He gave his children considerable property. At one time he owned eight hundred acres of land in this county. He was a Whig and a strong abolitionist, and later a Republican, favoring temperance legislation. In early life he united with the Congregational Church, but while at Royal Oak be joined the Methodist Episcopal Society. Of decided piety, he took an active part in church work and always labored for right and justice. He was married June 9, 1839, to Mary J., daughter of Warren and Lucy (Pelton) Cheney. She was born in Penfield, N. Y., May 14, 1824. She became the mother of ten children, namely: Mary J., Harvey J., Martha A., David L., Lucinda S., Lurinda M., Andrew C., Lois Esther, Albert W. and John L.
The youngest member of this family was born in Oakwood, May 20, 1857, and reared on the farm in Royal Oak Township. In the district schools he obtained an understanding of the common-school branches. He remained with his father until he was twenty years old, then went to Ann Arbor where he began the study of medicine in the University of Michigan.After attending three years he was graduated Ju1y, I880 and he was soon located in Wabash, Mercer County. Ohio. There he practiced about eighteen months, but then by reason of the sickness of his wife came back to Royal Oak, and carried on his work there about a year and a half. When that time had elapsed he went to Goodrich, Genesee County, but remained only a year and then came to Birmingham.
The wife of Dr. Campbell bore the maiden name of Josephine V. Gully, and their marriage rites were solemnized November 25, 1880. Mrs. Campbell was born in Royal Oak, this county, and is daughter of Alexander and Caroline (Schilling) Gully. Her father was born in Molo, Province of Alsace, France, August 20, 1808, and was married to Caroline Schilling November 20, 1843. They came to America about 1845 and made their home in Rhode Island about two years; then came to this State and county and established themselves in Royal Oak. They became the parents or six children, viz: Caroline, Albert C., Emily, Clemenca, Harriet and Josephine V. The youngest member of the family was reared and received her education in Royal Oak and Davisburg. She made use of her excellent education as a teacher, and for three years followed that profession in different places until her failing health compelled her to cease. Full of ambition and energy, she was a successful teacher and advanced the standard of learning wherever she was employed. Her mother, Mrs. Gully, is now seventy years old and still lives on the old homestead in Royal Oak Township, where the father died in 1860, aged fifty-two years.
Alexander Gully belonged to a distinguished family and finished his education in Lyons, France. He possessed a great intellect was an artist of more than ordinary ability and a linguist who was able to converse in five different languages. While naturally a man of studious habits, his progress was somewhat retarded by the loss of his hearing in early life. He had been a man of abundant means but goinginto business with which he was unacquainted, he lost a large portion of his money. Afterward he came to this county and located on a farm where he died, leaving his family an unencumbered estate of one hundred and sixty acres.
Dr. Campbell is a member of the Unites States Board of Pension Examiners for his district and is examining surgeon for various insurance companies and local fraternal orders. He has been a Village Trustee and has held other village offices, both civil and educational. He is a member of the Republican party, and he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. They are the parents of two children who have been named respectively, Carrie M. and Lloyd G.