"Portrait and Biographical Album of Oakland County, Michigan" [Chapman Bros., Chicago, 1891], p.p. 707-708:
LEVI B. COLVIN. The history of this county is best told in the record of the lives of its pioneers, and it gives us pleasure to place on the pages of this Biographical Album, these paragraphs concerning an early settler of this part of Michigan, who has passed the greater portion of his life within the borders of this county, and has greatly aided in developing its resources. He has a comfortable home and substantial farm buildings on his estate, which is pleasantly located on section 32, Waterford Township, and comprises one hundred and fifty-seven acres, mostly under cultivation.
A native of the Empire State, Mr. Colvin was born in Niagara County, July 6, 1822, and is the son of Nathan R. and Margaret [Bacheldor] Colvin, both natives of Vermont. The father immigrated to New York in 1813, and there engaged in farming. He did not, however, make his home there permanently, for in 1831, accompanied by his family, he started out for the new West, where he took up a tract of Government land on section 32, Waterford Township, The deed to this farm, the most of which is still in possession of the family was signed by President Jackson. Mr. Colvin was a hard-working, unassuming man, who never aspired to public honors, but devoted his attention exclusively to the development of his farm. Politically he was a Democrat, and was prominent in Masonic circles.
In early life the parents of our subject belonged to the Methodist Church, but later affiliated with the Church of Believers. They were excellent people and were highly esteemed throughout the community where they passed the closing years of their useful lives. The father died in 1873, but the widowed mother survived until 1887, when she too, peacefully closed her eyes in death. The parental family included three children, all now living in Oakland County. Our subject enjoyed very meager advantages in youth, as schools were few and opportunities of attending them equally limited. He was reared to a stalwart manhood amid the pioneer scenes of this county and was early called upon to assist his father in developing a farm, and while doing so acquired a practical knowledge of farming in all its branches.
Mr. Colvin has not been unassisted in his labors, as by his married with Keziah E. Hodge, he secured the active co-operation of a most excellent helpmate. Mrs. Colvin is the daughter of Billings J. and Eleanor [Borden] Hodge, natives of New York, who came to Michigan at a very early day and settled in the town of Commerce. Our subject now owns a part of his father's farm, and by industry and economy has made a comfortable home, which is ranged among the best in the township. Of his marriage eight children were born; all except one of whom reached years of maturity and are filling honorable positions in life. Emma A., Mrs. Heath, who was born November 13, 1846, lives in California; Ellen, wife of the Hon. W. E. Carpenter, resides in Waterford Township, this county; Homer is a well-known lawyer in Pontiac; Esther, who is single, lives with her parents and is a teacher, as is also Evangeline; Nathan Billings is a physician in Pontiac; E. Serepta is deceased; Hiram C. is a teller in the Pontiac National Bank. The children received excellent educational advantages in youth, and are prominent in the various communities where they reside.
Mr. Colvin was formerly a Democrat, but is now a Prohibitionist, and has served as a delegate to Prohibition conventions. In various official capacities he has served the people, have been Justice of the Peace, Road Commissioner, and held other minor offices. He is a member of the Church of Believers, and they are people of warm hearts and noted for their kindness and hospitality. Mr. Colvin's honesty and integrity of purpose are as widely know as he, and when his word is passed all are cognizant of the fact that he will stand by it, whatever betides.
"Portrait and Biographical Album of Oakland County, Michigan" [Chapman Bros., Chicago, 1891], p.p. 401-402:
HOMER H. COLVIN, a member of the legal profession located in Pontiac, was born in Waterford Township, June 4, 1850. He is the eldest son and third child in the family of Levi B. and Keziah E. [Hodge] Colvin, both of whom were born and reared in New York, and accompanied their respective parents to this State in early days. Grandfather Nathan R. Colvin was born in Vermont and so too was his wife, Margaret Bachelder, the former being of Scotch and the other of English lineage. The name was originally spelled Calvin, they being lineal descendants of the founder of the Calvanistic doctrine. They came to this county in 1825 and settled on a tract of land and engaged in farming. He was socially disposed and open-hearted, and his dwelling was always open to passing strangers. He died in May, 1873, when eighty-four years old, and his widow departed this life in March, 1889, when upwards of ninety years of age.
The father of our subject was married in his twenty-fourth year and then established his home on land that his father opened up for cultivation. He is still living on the property, which consists of one hundred and ninety acres, where on are good buildings and suitable equipments for his work. He has generally kept a good flock of sheep and at present has registered Merinoes. He was formerly a Democrat but is now a stanch member of the Prohibition party. Besides our subject, his children are Emma A., wife of George Heath, residing in Pomona, Cal.; Ellen L., wife of the Hon. William E. Carpenter, member of the present legislature; Esther, who is with her parents; Evangeline, living in Ft. Wayne and State Agent for the Chetauqua book concern; Nathan B. a physician, in Pontiac, and Hiram C., teller in the Pontiac National Bank.
Homer H. Colvin spent his youth on a farm and attended the common school in the neighborhood. When twenty years old he became a student in the Pontiac High School, where he continued the pursuit of knowledge two years, after which he taught in the county three years. He then embarked in mercantile pursuits in company with Newton B. Babcock, carrying on a general store under the style of Babcock & Colvin. The connection was in force eighteen months, when Mr. Colvin sold out his interests and went to Reed City, where for six months he engaged in hotel keeping. The following winter he again taught school and in the meantime he read law more or less. In the spring he entered the office of Robbins & Davis in Pontiac, and after eighteen month's reading there was admitted to the bar. He did not begin practice until after he had taken a course of study in the law department of the University of Michigan and graduated with the degree of L. L. B. in 1879.
Returning to Pontiac, Mr. Colvin then opened a law office, associating himself with the Hon. C. E. Herrington and the firm of Colvin & Herrington was in force eighteen months. The partnership was then dissolved and Mr. Colvin entered into one with Mr. Robbins, with whom he had formerly studied. Since November, 1881, he has been alone in practice. Mr. Colvin was elected Mayor of Pontiac in 1883 and re-elected in 1884, and in 1886 was elected City Attorney filling the office during a period of two years.
December 7, 1880, Mr. Colvin was married to Miss Emma E. Sibley, the ceremony taking place in Chicago, Ill. The bride was born in this county and is a daughter of Freeman F. and Mary [Stone] Sibley, who came from New York to this State a number of years ago. Mrs. Colvin is intelligent, refined, and has an estimable character. They have two daughters: Maud and Ruth, who are being carefully reared and well educated. Mr. and Mrs. Colvin belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church and move in the best circles of Pontiac society. Mr. Colvin belongs to Oakland County Lodge No. 183, I. O. O. F. He is a Democrat and during several campaigns has stumped the county for his chosen candidates. He has been a delegate to county, State and congressional conventions, and on several occasions has been a member of the congressional committee. He hasa sound knowledge of law, is fluent and apt in speech, and his reputation is increasing from year to year.
"Portrait and Biographical Album of Oakland County, Michigan" [Chapman Bros., Chicago, 1891], p.p. 683-684:
NATHAN BILLINGS COLVIN, M. D., of Pontiac, was born in Waterford Township, Oakland County, February 19, 1857, and was the second son of Levi B. and Keziah E. [Hodge] Colvin. The father was born in Middleport, N. Y., in 1822, and is the son of Nathan R. Colvin. The latter was a native of Rutland, Vt., and died in 1873, in his eighty-second year, on the homestead on which he located in 1832. Levi B. was but ten years of age when he came to Michigan, and still resides upon land settled by his father. He has been engaged in general farming and stock raising, making a specialty of merino sheep. The family is of Scotch-English descent.
Eight children were born to this pioneer, of whom seven are living. Nathan B. passed his youth on the farm and attended the district school. After taking a select course at Pontiac High School, he taught school four winters and studied medicine at intervals while teaching. In 1879 he went to New York City and entered the medical department of the University of the city of New York, graduating with two hundred and twelve others in 1882, at this time taking special courses in Bellevue Hospital in operative surgery and physical diagnosis, for which he received certificates of proficiency. He then began practice at Rolla, Mo., devoting considerable time to diseases of the eye which are prevalent in that climate. After five years there, he returned to Michigan and located in Pontiac, where he is now recognized as one of the able and successful physicians of the county. He enjoys a large practice, a portion consisting of the special diseases for which his previous study and practical experience eminently fitted him.
Socially Dr. Colvin is a member of the I. O. O. F., No. 3, of Pontiac, the Rolla District Medical Society, Michigan State Medical Society, and the American Medical Society. He was married in October, 1884, to Miss Emma E. Emory, the accomplished daughter of Judge Azro Emory, of St. James, Mo. Dr. and Mrs. Colvin are members of the Pontiac Methodist Church, have the best social advantages, are the happy parents of two children, Della and Levi B., and live pleasantly at No. 70 Asylum Avenue.