From "Memorial to the Pioneer Women of the Western Reserve," Part III, Mrs. Gertrude Van Rensselaer Wickham, Editor [published under the auspices of the Women’s Department of the Cleveland Centennial Commission, December, 1896]. p. p. 534-541:
PIONEER WOMEN OF KINGSVILLE, 1803-1850
Towns as well as children have a right to be well born, and it is said that "Kingsville is well born."
It occupies a pleasant situation on the southern shore of Lake Erie; the Conneaut changing its course to embrace it on the east and the Ashtabula on the southwest, with their contributions of wealth and beauty.
To transform this favorite haunt of nature into an Eden and "dress and keep it," Providence gathered a select people from New England and eastern New York, and occasionally elsewhere.
In addition to the north and south ridges -- nature’s highways -- Kingsville is now traversed by two lines of railways, and has a population little less than twenty-five hundred. We are thus a quiet, rural community; can live as near to nature as we please; have freedom to seek the largest individual development, while we are in close contact with the great world to take in when we wish its best thought and to feel its faintest heart-beat.
Our first settlement was in 1808. The first family, Eldad Harrington and his wife, Samantha [or Tacy Phillips], were from Elk Creek, Pa., but originally from Massachusetts.
There were two daughters, Lucretia and Deborah, but whether born here is unknown. The latter married William George and lived here many years. She is remembered as a woman of a bright, lively disposition, equal to any feat in walking, and a triumphant heroine in conjugal warfare. She sent two sons to the Union army in the late war, one dying on the field of battle.
A sister of Mr. Harrington lived here at an early day -- Mrs. Andrews -- a capable, worthy woman.
Other squatters soon followed, but as we find no record of a woman’s name, we pass them by.
The first woman whose husband settled upon his own land was Amanda, wife of Walter Fobes, who came here in 1805, and their daughter, OCTAVIA, born in 1806, was the first baby to take a glimpse of the world in Kingsville.
The other daughters were Amanda, Rosamond, Louisa and Harmony. Left a widow in 1814, Mrs. Fobes devoted herself to the care of the sick during the remainder of her life.
Miss Matilda Barnard married Roger Nettleton, of Norfolk, Conn., and came to Austinburg in 1800, and Kingsville in 1806.
The family was related to Rev. Asahel Nettleton, a distinguished evangelist of Connecticut, in the early part of the century.
Of the children, Achsa [Mrs. Hall Smith] taught a part of the first term of school in the first schoolhouse in Ashtabula in 1809.
Betsey [Mrs. Samuel Newton] taught the same school at a later day; one of whose sons, Harvey Newton, and his wife, Caroline Brown, from Conneaut, are among our older and most esteemed citizens.
Sally Nettleton [Mrs. Martin Wood] went west to help build up Illinois greatness.
Matilda, her only child born in Ohio, died, a young lady, after contributing her mite to public education by teaching.
Alpha married Sarah Booth, of Ashtabula, who died in a few years, leaving two sons, Charles and Booth. The former married Elizabeth Webster, of Litchfield, Conn., who still lives in Kingsville.
Alpha afterwards married Sally Munger, of New York. During the second quarter of the century they kept a tavern, which gained a reputation as one of the best travelers’ homes between Buffalo and Cleveland. The capability and energy of the landlady had much to do with the reputation. The tavern-stand is one of the oldest houses in the township.
Louisa Booth, a sister of Mrs. Sarah Booth Nettleton, taught in the log schoolhouse at North Kingsville in 1815. Her qualifications for training the "young idea" were very superior, and that, together with the other traits, captivated the affections of Harvey Nettleton, to whom she was married about 1816.
She was an invalid most of her life, which was relieved, so far as sickness can be, by the care and sympathy of one of the most tender and interesting of men. On the Sabbath Mr. Nettleton used often to carry her from the carriage into the church and back -- a beautiful example of mutual love.
The only child living, Francis B. Nettleton, still resides here, verging on to four-score years.
Naomah Hall and husband, Deacon Clark Webster, came from Lanesbough, Mass., in 1808. At the time Dr. H. H. Webster was a boy of eight years -- the first of three generations of physicians.
The parents of Clark Webster, Michael and Elizabeth Clark Webster, early settlers in Jefferson, spent a part of their later life in Kingsville. They died here, he at nearly 104, she at eighty-seven years of age, and now sleep together in our old cemetery -- ancestors of a FAMILY OF PHYSICIANS.
Lois Wade and husband, Silas Tinker, moved here in 1809. They had traveled in a flatboat from Buffalo with the Nettletons the first year of the century, and after residing a few years elsewhere, the two families met here, to live side by side as neighbors.
Mrs. Silas Tinker, Jr., [Elizabeth Randall] was a woman of much force and energy of character.
Miss Clarissa Noyes arrived with her parents, Dr. Daniel and Polly Marston Noyes, in 1810.
She was a teacher during the winter of 1811-12 in the first schoolhouse in the township, which occupied the site of the old brick tavern. She never married.
The family, originally from Newburyport, Mass., has a few representatives yet in town.
Miss Jane Gleason came here about 1816. In 1822, assisted by Stephen Munger, she organized and conducted a Sabbath school in the first frame schoolhouse, which stood on the opposite side of the road, a little west of the log building of earlier days.
She married Jonathan Gillette and spent the remainder of her life here.
Amos Batchelor and wife, Susannah Baker, settled in the Bend east of the village in 1811. There were four daughters -- Chloe [Mrs. David Wood], Susan [Mrs. Calvin Luce], Sophia [Mrs. Hiram Woodbury], Lucinda [Mrs. Chas. Whelpley].
In the early part of August, 1812, the appearance of a British vessel, as was supposed, off Conneaut, created great alarm. Word came from Kingsville that a thousand soldiers and Indians were on the way thither. The family of Batchelor, hastily taking a few necessary articles, sought shelter beyond the Conneaut.
Before they were out of hearing the dog, accidentally left in the house, began to howl, which seemed to confirm their worst fears, but in the morning all thing were found as they had been left the previous night.
It is said of Mrs. Ezekiel Sheldon [Edith Sawin], who came with her husband from Connecticut and settled on the Lake-shore road in 1810, that she was the first woman to prohibit liquor, at the old-fashioned raisings, on which occasions good cheer was enriched with a really elegant dinner, well cooked, well served, with tasteful accompaniments of every kind.
A short distance east of Mr. Sheldon’s was the home of Mrs. Mary Peas, wife of Wheeler Woodbury. They came to Ashtabula from Acworth, N. H., in 1819 -- a brief residence on the Peleg Sweet farm where Mrs. Woodbury taught several terms of school, preceding their removal to Kingsville.
On their journey to the New West the stop over night at Buffalo was vividly remembered, happening at the time of General Van Rennsselaer’s attack upon the British position at Queenstown, the cannonading from either side preventing sleep and making an early departure desirable.
After Buffalo was burned and there came a call for volunteers to check the advancing troops, Mr. Woodbury was among those who responded, and the matter of providing the needful clothing was a miracle of accomplishment. Shearing a fleece of wool was given into the hands of the wife and daughters, who cleaned, dyed, spun, wove and returned the garment ready-made within twenty-four hours from the time of the clipping.
Surely, the deed deserves as CONSPICUOUS MENTION as that of the Greek mother who, giving her son his shield and bidding him farewell, said "Come home with it or on it."
Always ready to contribute to a larder more barren than her own, Mrs. Woodbury more than once fainted from overwork and hunger, after dividing her last loaf with an unfortunate neighbor.
Hon. E. B. and Hamilton, son and grandson respectively, were for many years prominent figures in legal and political life in Jefferson; gentlemen of fine culture and widely esteemed for many admirable qualities.
The daughters were all teachers. Miss Susan Edson, the distinguished physician who nursed President Garfield during his last illness was at one time a pupil of Miss Phebe.
The latter inherited her mother’s penchant for the study of medicine, but it was not until after her marriage with Andrew Randall, of Monroe, that she made a practical application of her acquirements. To her we are indebted for a portion of the material entering into the preparation of this article; for her, we mingled our tears with many who gathered recently to pay the last tribute of affection to all that was mortal of one whom to know was to love and admire.
The oldest daughter, Maria, at one time possessed the distinction of being the best grammarian in the Western Reserve.
With a mind versatile and capable of grasping broad principles, she commanded an influence in the community where she lived.
She married Dr. Philastrus Hurlbut, and is now, in her eighty-ninth year, a resident of Gibsonburg, O.
Daniel C. and Phebe Alderman-Phelps came from Colebrook, Conn., in 1811 and established a home on the north ridge near Ashtabula. Of ten children three are living -- William C., Daniel M. and F. Barnard, aged respectively, eighty-nine, eighty-seven and seventy-nine years. The former resides in West Winsted, Conn.
Mrs. Phelps was a woman of strong mind and force of character, enduring with patience the journey of forty-two days, to Ohio, with the care of three small children and the inconveniences of a heavily loaded wagon moving at the slow pace of an ox-team.
Her life during the first sixteen years in Ohio was one of great toil. But such as has been the experience of many others.
One night in 1814 an Indian, who had planted his hut in the woods about a mile and a half distant two or three weeks previous, came for her to care for his SICK SQUAW.
She complied without hesitation and remained until the death of the woman the next morning.
Always ready to assist in sickness, suffering and poverty, her ministrations were gratefully remembered long after her death.
Mrs. Daniel M. Phelps [Calista Perrine] was distinguished for her benevolence and amiable disposition.
Mrs. F. Bernard Phelps [Margaret Sanders] came to Ashtabula from Brookfield in 1834 at the age of seventeen, accomplishing the journey on horseback.
She was the daughter of Rev. Abram Sanders, a Disciple minister, who, with his family, came to Ashtabula in the year named.
Dating from her marriage in 1837, her residence here was continuous until her death in 1894.
She was a woman of more than ordinary natural ability, and by her fidelity won to herself many friends, of whom it might be said, "Once a friend, always a friend."
Quite early in the century, an association of ladies, under the leadership of Louisa, wife of Rev. Simeon Bishop, of Conneaut, was organized for the study of medicine.
Her father, Dr. De Aubrey, an eminent French physician, dying, left her a large medical library, to which the society had access. The membership was limited to three each from Conneaut, Ashtabula and Kingsville. From the former were added the names of Harriet, wife of Squire Bean and mother of the late Dr. Asa Bean, and Prudence, wife of Daniel Hazeltine, Sr. The Ashtabula members were Mrs. Eli Holcomb and the Mrs. Drs. Farrington and Coleman. from Kingsville, Maria Pease, wife of Wheeler Woodbury; Susannah Baker, Mrs. Amos Batchelar; Phebe Alderman, wife of Daniel Phelps. The semi-monthly meetings were, from pressures of work and other circumstances, often postponed to once in four weeks for comparing notes, number of patients and method of treatment.
Although none of them became M.D.’s, they acquired much medical skill and were pronounced by the best physicians in those days as a blessing to any community. So far as we know their services were a free gift to all, without distinction of creed or nationality.
In 1814 Mrs. Jonathan Hart, [Anna Webster] and Mrs. White Webster, [Phebe Hart] came with their husbands, from Litchfield, Conn.
The next winter the father and mother, Elijah and Martha Clark Webster, and their daughters, Olive, Huldah and Maria, followed with horses and sleigh, crossing from Buffalo on the ice.
The daughters of Mrs. Lyman Webster [Anna Hart] lived, and died the past winter, on the old farm west of the village, having fulfilled her mission well as a home-maker for a family of several children.
Of the four daughters, one, Mrs. Julia Webster Whelpley, still remains here, and has won to herself a host of friends by her kindly ways and generous hospitality.
Maria, daughter of Martha Clark Webster, married Artemas Luce in 1818. She was the mother of eight children, all of whom but two lived sixty years to love and honor her more and more until she was LAID TO REST.
Of Mrs. Martha Luce-Osborne, a daughter, mention will be made in another connection.
Mayhew and Joanna Gorham Luce left their home in Worcester County, Mass., in the summer of 1817, with one team, a few household effects and seven children, and arrived here after a wearisome journey of six weeks. The mother was a sweet-faced, sweet-tempered woman, whom one of her sons in later years designated as an angel.
Drusilla, the elder of the daughters, and other young ladies of Kingsville, about 1820, commenced the manufacture of straw bonnets of a very fine quality. The business was carried on extensively for several years. She afterwards married Seymour Sloan.
Mrs. Reuben Luce, nee Kesiah Pike, was of English parentage, and came with her husband and eight children from Barre, Mass., about 1816, making their home on a large farm east of the village on Conneaut Creek. She was a woman of indomitable courage and industry, and brought up her family with strict discipline. The daughters were Betsey, Mary, Abigail, and Martha.
Abigail married Phineas Morse and lived in Kingsville, passing from life at the ripe age of nearly ninety-three being a woman, like her mother, of great energy and industry.
Jeremiah, son of Kesiah Pike Luce, traveling by stage-coach to Boston, at one of its pauses, saw at the door a beautiful form, that materialized a vision he had previously seen in a dream. He stopped to learn the name of the fair one, and in the end bore her to his home in Kingsville, to be presiding genius, ornament and solace of his life -- Tamar Barton, of Plainfield, Mass. She possessed superior mental endowments as well as beauty of person, and was one of the mothers whose children shall "rise up and call her blessed."
Of the three daughters the youngest, Rosetta Tamar, wife of DR. WM. L. GILCHRIST, of Ashtabula, is widely known, bearing an M. D. in her own right, and is associated with her husband in the practice of her profession. She has also made for herself an honorable name as an extensive contributor to current periodical literature.
Mr. and Mrs. Ives Morse [Elizabeth Lord] came from Northfield, Conn., in 1816.
She was a woman of much interest. For many years, even into old age, she often made on foot the circuit involving several miles, of her daughters -- Mesdames Ozias Webster, Erastus Todd, Heman Benton, Elijah Ward, and she attained to the age of ninety-one years.
She was fond of music, and in her calls frequently carried a musical notebook. She had peculiarities at which people used to smile; those might well smile and smile, making a fountain of joy, who possessed her soft speech, sunny temper and generous heart.
In 1824 there was a wedding in a log house on the ground now occupied by the residence of F. B. Nettleton, the home of Rev. Squire Abbott. Susan, a daughter, was married to Ferris Webster. The way of access to the bridal chamber was by pins driven into the logs of the house.
About three years before, another daughter, Anna, was married, probably in the same house. It was said a fairer bride had seldom been seen; on this occasion Amos Morse bore off the prize.
Obadiah Ward and wife, the latter a Miss Johnson, from Tolland, Conn., came soon after 1813, and settled in the southwest part of the township. There was a large family. At a later day two other daughters, Esther [Mrs. Jeremiah King] and Relief [Mrs. Dr. Seth Heath] joined them.
The family was typical of "the land of steady habits," leaving out the wooden nutmeg element.
The father supplemented farming with basket-making, and so thorough was the latter work as to make it a common saying in the neighborhood, that his wife used one for a pounding barrel in washing.
In a few years there came into the neighborhood Andrew Harvey and wife [Aurelia Hill]; Mrs. Obed Dibell [Patience Baldwin], and others. Mrs. Harvey possessed great vivacity of nature, of which she had need, living to bury seven out of nine children, and passing the EVE OF LIFE away from the others.
Mrs. Obed Dibell taught the first term of school in sub-district No. 4 at her residence. She was a descendant, on her mother’s side, from the families of Lord and Strong, of Connecticut,
Her oldest son was a preacher in northern Illinois, whose son, Hon. Darrance Dibell, of Joliet, is now a circuit judge.
Mr. and Mrs. Zaccheus Bugbee made themselves a home southeast of the village about 1816. She was a woman of generous hospitality and her husband a man of simple, earnest piety; so that a caller could hardly leave the house without refreshment for the body and a taste of heavenly manna.
Benjamin Barrett and wife, Clarissa Barnes, moved to Kingsville in 1818. There was a large family, but we can only speak of Mrs. Oliver and Amos Barrett, Eliza and Annis Brown, originally from Fredonia, N.Y.
Eliza taught the village school in 1821. The late Rev. Dr. Judson Barrett, of Rochester, N. Y., and Susan E. of Kingsville, an accomplished pianist and musical instructor, were children of Mrs. Amos Barrett, who is remembered as a woman of sweet and lovely disposition, always forgetful of self in helping others.
Mrs. Orrin Wakefield, Lois Taylor, originally from Ashfield, Mass., is remembered with affection. She was of Revolutionary ancestry, her grandfather, father and six uncles having served during the war.
When she was twelve years old, the mother of the famous Mary Lyon married her father, and for several years the girl’s home and surroundings were one. A daughter, Lois, as though entertaining a partiality for her mother, became Mrs. R. D. Taylor, thus restoring the mother’s maiden name, while seeking to emulate her mother’s excellence.
The family residence of Mrs. Chandler Welton [Nancy Pitts] originally from Waterbury, Conn., was, dating from 1818, on the north ridge, and the old home is still occupied by her descendants. Like many of the pioneer women, she did the proper amount of spinning and weaving, and the products of her loom were justly regarded as triumphs of skill.
Silas and Mary Hopkins-Mitchell, originally from Vermont, were residents from 1830 until their death. Mrs. Mitchell’s father was a lieutenant in the army, and her great-uncle, Stephen Hopkins, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.
Harvey and Mary Williams-Chappell deserve notice. He, a descendant of a lieutenant in the Continental army, who fell at BUNKER HILL. She, of Scotch Coventanters, and a woman of a beautiful, Christian life. Of a large and interesting family, we have only space to mention two, Julia, afterwards Mrs. Abel D. Gifford, and Jane, wife of Rev. Geo. W. Chapin. The former had no rival in popularity among her own sex as teacher, beginning her career at the age of fourteen as assistant in the village school, with Mrs. Susan Osborne, principal.
The latter was a frequent contributor in prose and verse for the religious journals over her own proper signature; for the literary weeklies and magazines over the pen-name "Lily Lindeswood."
It is appropriate to speak of the old Kingsville Academy, which, dating from December 1836, was for more than a third of a century the leading school in northeastern Ohio.
In the period under notice, Nancy Loomis of Jefferson, Harriet Hill, Louisa Graves [Mrs. Warren Marks], Adelia Spencer [Mrs. Z. C. Graves], Martha Luce [Mrs. Luke Osborne], Caroline Williams [Mrs. Aaron Pickett], occupied each the position of preceptress.
Adelia Spencer was a daughter of Dr. Daniel and Sarah Spencer. She has spent most of her life in the South; is known as the author of several books, which entitle her, perhaps, to the first place in the rank of female writers Kingsville has produced.
Notably among the students at the time of Mrs. Osborne’s connection with the school in 1849-50 were the brilliant and successful author and statesman, Judge A. W. Tourgee, and the Hon. J. C. BURROWS.
Bereft of her husband soon after marriage, she made teaching her life work, occupying for many years a position in the Baptist College at Kalamazoo.
The journey of Mehitable Terry and husband, Joseph Hawkins [or Halkins] from Infield, Conn., in 1821 was marked by the same incidents, trials and hardships of the earlier pioneers. The perilous drive from Buffalo on the ice, which had already begun to yield to a warm south wind, was never forgotten by the little party.
Arriving at Erie they were soon met by Zachariah Olmstead, who conveyed and welcomed them to his home. In Mrs. Olmstead [Fanny Fobes], Mrs. H. found congenial companionship, which ripened into life-long friendship.
A daughter, Mehitable [Mrs. John Titus], came from Lima, N. Y., the following year. Her husband soon died and she subsequently married John Brown of Ashtabula.
Sally married Hiram Byington; joined the Mormons during the early settlement of the sect at Kirkland; later, went to Salt Lake City, where she died.
Her union with the Morman church was much deplored by the family.
Of nine children, Samuel Hawkins, an aged resident of Vicksburg, Mich., is the only one living.
Among others, who, about 1820, settled in the south part of the township, were Mrs. Alanson Colegrove [Mary Bovee], Mrs. Thomas Main [Rhoda Colegrove], who did much in helping reclaim fine farms from a dense forest, while delft fingers supplied the family wardrobe, bedding and napery from wool and flax grown on the farm.
A large trough for storing rainwater, in the winter nicely lined with straw, with oxen for motive power, often did duty as the family sleigh, discharging its human freight at the door of the log church on a Sabbath morning.
Eliza Gillette [Mrs. Ira Hall], as the result of a second marriage with Luman Webster, came to Kingsville in 1824, living here many years. Her only daughter, Julia A. Hall, with her Aunt, Esther Gillette, and their pastor, Rev. Day, followed in 1825, making the journey in a one-horse chaise, which took them four weeks to accomplish.
Julia afterwards became Mrs. Isaac Stevens. There were nine daughters, some of whom were teachers and all exceptionally SWEET SINGERS.
Esther Gillette married Ira Hawkins, with whom she lived many years, dying at an advanced age in Madison, as the wife of Dr. Ensign.
The residence of Mrs. Jacob Craytor, nee Adelia Hubbell, dates from 1821, a home having been made ready for herself and children at the western terminus of the gore-road leading to Amboy. A more commodious residence where were spent the closing years of her life, is now the home of Mrs. L. A. McCreary. A consistent Christian, her pure life is reflected even unto the third generation, To her oldest son, Charles H., we are indebted for many contributions in the preparation of our census.
Mr. and Mrs. James Dick, nee Mary Cooley, became residents in 1834, coming from Ripley, N. Y.
One vivid incident in her life was when she was driven from her home in Plattsburg by British soldiers in 1812.
On returning, after the British had evacuated the town, she found her home despoiled of many valuable articles. A large family were benefited by her sweet Christian influence.
Dating from 1834, Mr. and Mrs. Job Green, [Susannah Castin] from Yorkshire, N. Y. were residents about thirty years.
The family possessed much musical talent, one son, Job, being identified with the Wadsworth Concert Co. in its early history. Of nine children, Susannah, Mrs. Samuel Pease, is the only daughter who lived in Kingsville.
Abigail Sandborn came from Strafford, Vt., during the early 30’s; later, as the second wife of Ambrose Holden and step-mother to a numerous family, she performed her duty well. Her maiden name dates its origin from the great-grandfather who, when a small child was found upon the sea-coast, a castaway from some wrecked vessel and given the name SANDBORN.
A unique character in our early history was Hannah Pattee, Mrs. Uriah Meacham, of Vermont, but after her second marriage familiarly known as "Granny Butterfield." Sharp and caustic of speech, fond of political discussions, she often gained an argumentative victory, always developing the aggressive as she warmed to the argument.
The residence of Samantha Shaw previous to her home here and subsequent marriage with Luther Morse, was near Crooked Lake, N. Y., where many happy childhood hours were spent rowing passengers to the opposite shore, one mile distant.
Crossing the lake at night-fall upon fragments of ice, was typical of the persevering energy which characterized her later life.
A clever writer of prose and poetry, her efforts were often called into requisition to help out a less favored classmate, besides contributing to the publications of her day.
We are aware how imperfect this sketch is. The names of many to whom we are deeply indebted have faded from human remembrance and only live in the beneficent results of their labors. In concluding this pioneer sketch, the writer begs to thank for information, data and courtesies received during its preparation, Messrs. Wm. C. Phelps of West Winsted, Conn., and Rev. Edwin Dibell of Kingsville.
SARAH PHELPS-HOLDEN, Chairman and Historian. Kingsville Committee -- Mrs. Dr. E. M. Webster, Mrs. Mary L. M. Gee, Mrs. Martha Osborne, Mrs. Martha Stevens-Craytor, Miss Sarah Fickinger, Miss Rose Lyon, Mrs. Emma Galbraith.
Memorial to the Pioneer Women of the Western Reserve, Part V, Gertrude Van Rensselaer Wickham,, Editor and Historian; Mrs. Charles Heber Smith, Assistant Historian [published under the auspices of the Women’s Department of the Cleveland Centennial Commission, c1924], p. p. 978-979:
PIONEER WOMEN OF KINGSVILLE [Additional]
Amos Harmon of Marlborough, Mass., arrived in the town in 1816. He remained until late in the fall, then returned for his family, consisting of his parents, his wife [Lydia Shaw] and their two children. They traveled all the way in a wagon, sleeping in and under it at night, and were four weeks on the road.
Their home, a log cabin, was burned to the ground in the spring of 1818 and very little of its contents escaped the flames. The neighbors all turned out to assist in the building of another house but no one had much to spare in the way of furniture. However, each contributed their mite. One a few dishes, another a chair, etc. The first meal in the new house had been eaten when it occurred to Mrs. Harmon that she had not even a dish cloth with which to wash the dishes, let alone anything to dry them with. Again the neighbors came to her relief.
Henry and Mary, the oldest children, were born in Massachusetts. The Kingsville ones were Hiram, Dorcas, Emily [Mrs. J. W. Rockwell], Harriet [Mrs. Sylvester Tinker], and Mrs. Elnathan Harmon, now living in Lenox, Ohio. The three younger children are the only survivors of this family.
Mrs. Harmon was mortally afraid of the Indians until she found that as soon as she fed them they would become very good natured. Mrs. Rockwell, her daughter now living in Jefferson, says, "We children all had to work very young in order to help our parents in their struggles to raise us properly."
In 1836 Mr. Harmon sold his property in town and removed to Lenox, in the same county. His wife died in 1867, preceding him to the Better Land five years.