PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM
pg 154, 155
JAMES C. FULLER.Many denizens of our large cities hold erroneous impressions regarding the comfort and beauty of rural life.A farmer is to them a man of coarse manners, uncultural mind and no taste, whose days are spent in drudgery amid unlovely surroundings, uncheered by ennobling thoughts or cultured companionship.To those who think thus, a view of the beautiful estate of James C. FULLER would be a great surprise, as they would find it equal to a city residence in beauty, luxury and indications of refinement.The land comprises four hundred and eighty acres in Pike Township, Clark County, and is worth $100 per acres; the dwelling is a fine two-story brick structure, set in the midst of a beautiful lawn, with evergreens in front and surrounded by an iron fence of modern design.The bar is scarcely equaled in the county for size, beauty of design, and convenient arrangement, while every other improvement upon the place indicates prosperity and excellent taste.A visit to the home would prove that the owner and his family have abundant leisure in which to enjoy association with friends, add to their own culture, and assist in worthy enterprises of various kinds.
In Montgomery County, Va., in the latter part of the eighteenth century, James FULLER and Diana ACERS were born.They grew to maturity in their native State, were married and spent a few years of wedded life there.They then moved to the Blue Grass State and about 1815 came into Ohio, settling in Bethel Township, this county, in the neighborhood of New Carlisle.A twelve month or more afterward they changed their residence to the farm now owned by our subject, their dwelling being within a quarter of a mile of that which he now occupies.On that farm they spent the remainder of their lives, passing away when ripe in years.They had come to this State poor, but by hard work and careful management they built up a good home and acquired a large landed estate.The first purchase of land—one hundred and sixty acres—cost Mr. FULLER $2 per acre.He took a prominent part in local affairs, served as Township Trustee and in other minor official capacities.His vote was always given to the Democratic party.The family of James and Diana FULLER consisted of ten children, the fourth in order of birth being he whose name introduced this sketch.
The paternal grandparents of our subject were Northrop and Mary FULLER, natives of New York who came to Ohio about 1820, dying in this county at advanced ages.His maternal grandparents were Virginians and spent their lives in their native State.
The birth of James C. FULLER took place January 19, 1820, on the farm which is still his home.He was reared here, acquiring his education in the common schools, having excellent principles instilled into his mind by worthy parents, and early learning the habits of industry and carefulness which have made of his life a success.He began his own career with about eighty acres of land and $1000.A few years ago he owned an entire section, but it has been reduced to the acreage before mentioned by gifts to his children.During the late war Mr. FULLER did not go to the field, but he gave liberally of his means to assist the Union cause.His neighbors recognize his fitness for public service and have bestowed upon him various offices, among them that of Township Trustee.Public life is not attractive to him, the conduct of his personal affairs furnishing him abundant occupation, and the society of family and friends and the enjoyments of his beautiful home affording him recreation and hearty pleasure.
The home of Mr. FULLER is presided over by a lady of worth with whom he was united in marriage April 14, 1842.She was born in Pike Township, this county, in September, 1824, and in her girlhood was known as Miss Mary Jane VERDIER.Her parents, Adam and Elizabeth VERDIER, are numbered among the very earliest settlers of this county, whence they had come from Virginia, their native State.They lived to a good old age, both departing this life in Pike Township.
To Mr. and Mrs. FULLER eight children have been born, of whom we note the following: Atesera is now the wife of David FORTNEY, an undertaker and coal and lumber dealer at Osborn, Greene County.Columbus A. lives with his parents and is engaged in farming; he married Miss Lucretia NIECE, of Champaign County, who has been removed from him by death.Marrietta is unmarried and at home, Martha is the wife of Josiah NOOP a farmer and machinist of Casstown, Miami County.James H. who is farming in Pike Township, married Miss Jennie NIECE, of Champaign County.Edith is the wife of Edward HOOVER, a farmer and teacher in Warren County.Edwin V. is unmarried and at home, engaged in farming and stock dealing.Bertha is single and at home.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Greene and Clark Counties, Ohio
Chapman Bros., Chicago