JOHN E. LORTON is numbered among the local officers of Clark County, filling the position of Treasurer in German Township, an office which he has held continuously for several years. He is numbered among the public spirited and reliable citizens, his honesty and integrity are unquestioned, while as a practically self-made man he is pointed out as a model to the rising generation.
The gentleman of whom we write is descended from respectable parents, and Grandfather LORTON is said to have been a Revolutionary soldier, John and Rachel (DONOVAN) LORTON are supposed to have been natives of Kentucky, as they emigrated from that State to Ohio in 1816, bringing with them one daughter, and performing the entire journey on horseback. They settled about half a mile west of the present site of Lawrenceville, Clark County, and in the woods erected a cabin of round logs, just large enough to accommodate the family. There they lived several years, by and by erecting a better house and surrounding themselves with more and more of comfort as civilization advanced and their commercial opportunities were improved. Mr. LORTON is classed among the early and representative pioneers of the township in which he did much to aid in its development, and his good wife was honored as befitted one of the pioneer women. He was a democrat, and both he and his wife belonged to the Baptist Church. He breathed his last September 16, 1847, his wife living to reach her eighty-fourth year. They were the parents of ten children, of whom the following are known to survive: John E., William and Jonathan.
John LORTON was born in this county, November 10, 1827, and being reared amid scenes of a much more primitive nature than those which now surround his home, he bore such share as a youth might in the work of development which was going on around him. He received a limited education in the early subscription and public schools of the county, the only schoolhouse in which he ever attended being one made of logs. Having an active mind and a desire for knowledge, he has made use of the facilities afforded by the printing-press to keep himself posted, and is mainly self-educated. In 1850 he purchased sixty acres of land, where he now resides, settling upon it in a log house covered with clapboards, living therein several years. He subsequently erected his present residence, which is well-built and sufficiently commodious edifice, under whose roof good cheer abounds. He now owns eighty acres of land, all the buildings upon it being good and the other improvements appropriate.
The first marriage of Mr. LORTON took place in 1849, his bride being Miss Elizabeth WAGONER. She bore seven children—John W.; Nancy E.; deceased; Amanda, wife of Wesley XANDER; Emma C., wife of John BAKER; Lewis; Clara, wife of Edward SOUDERS; and Marietta, deceased. The second wife of Mr. LORTON bore the maiden name of Rebecca SWARTZBAUGH, being a daughter of Henry and Lydia SWARTZBAUGH, of this township. This union has been blessed by the birth of six children: Cora B., Lydia M., Anna M., Luther E., Edgar J. and one who died in infancy. Mr. LORTON served as Township Trustee a number of years with credit to himself and his constituents. He and his good wife belong to the German Reformed Church
Portrait and Biographical Album of Greene and Clark Counties, Ohio Chapman Bros., Chicago Copyright 1890.