HENRY BALDWIN, JR., M. D. An excellent standing among the physicians of Clarke[sic] County, has been already reached by this young gentleman, who is a resident of Springfield. It has been but a few years since he obtained his diploma and began his professional labors, yet he is becoming well known as a member of medical societies and boards, and as one who is studious, prudent and successful in practice. He already has a fair share of the medical work of this city and adjacent country, and bids fair to become one of its most popular physicians ere long.
The name borne by the subject of this sketch indicates the English lineage of his paternal ancestors. The first of the family in this section was Jonah, who came from Virginia in 1804, locating in Springfield, where he was soon numbered among the enterprising business men and where he held the office of Justice of the Peace for many years. He was also one of the Commissioners appointed by the President to meet Chief Tecumseh and negotiate terms of peace between the settlers and the Indians. His wife was Amelia, daughter of Dr. William NEEDHAM, one of the first physicians in the village. Dr. NEEDHAM built the first frame house here and is well remembered by the old settlers, not only as a physician whose practice extended for many miles but as a man of humor and marked characteristics. He circulated many stories and incidents of pioneer times, which being told in his own peculiar style proved very amusing, particularly as his stuttering speech made them still more forcible. He retired on to a farm where Lagonda now stands, and after quite a settlement grew up there, the place was for some time called Pillville. Dr. NEEDHAM died in 1832, while comparatively a young man.
In the family of Jonah and Amelia (NEEDHAM) BALDWIN, was a son Henry, who was born in this county in 1830. After reaching mature years, he married Maria DAWSON, who was born in Uniontown, Pa., and resided there until her marriage. She was a daughter of John DAWSON of that place and a niece of Littleton DAWSON, a prominent attorney and congressman from Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Henry BALDWIN are the parents of six children now living, of whom the subject of this sketch is the second. The oldest is John DAWSON, who is now in Colorado, being a member of the State Legislature. Anna B. the third, and Amelia Needham the sixth child, are at home. Louisa B. is the wife of George S. DIAL, Esq.; Richard D. is a student in the Cincinnati law school.
Dr. BALDWIN first saw the light of day July 17, 1860, in the city which is now his home. He pursued his studies in the public schools, and after finishing the course therein, entered Wittenberg College, leaving it at the close of his junior year to begin the study of his chosen profession. He entered the office of Dr. E. M. BUCKINGHAM with whom he read for some time, prior to his attendance at the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, Pa. He was graduated from that excellent institution in the class of 1883, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Returning to his home he at once opened an office and began to work up a practice.
The position of City Physician is now held by Dr. BALDWIN and he has served with much credit. He was first appointed for one term, but being an ardent Republican was deposed for political reasons. At the end of the year, however, he was again appointed for the term of two years, and is still the incumbent of the office. In the spring of 1889, he was appointed to fill a vacancy on the Board of Education and serves as Chairman of a Committee on Supplies. He also belongs to the medical staff in the Mitchell Thomas Hospital, and is Secretary and Treasurer of the Clarke[sic] County Medical Society. He belongs to Clarke [sic] Lodge No. 101, F. & M., and to Springfield Chapter R. A. M.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Greene and Clark Counties, Ohio Chapman Bros., Chicago. Copyright 1890.