We are looking for information pertaining to Martin L. Bishop (1818-1897) of Clark Co. OH and McLean Co. IL, his wives Myrtilla Jane McRoberts and Margaret Glascock, and their children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and other descendents. Martin Bishop was a grandson of John Bishop II. We would greatly appreciate any information that you can provide and any corrections you can provide to the information given below that might be inaccurate.
Martin L. Bishop was born on 11 Nov. 1818 in Clark Co. OH, the son of James Harvey Bishop and Chloe Lake. He died 17 Apr. 1897 in Heyworth, McLean Co. IL.
Martin L. Bishop married Myrtilla (Matilda) Jane McRoberts 15 Feb 1838 in Springfield Clark Co. OH. She died 13 Aug. 1848 at the age of twenty-nine soon after her son John died in infancy. Can someone provide her exact birth date, location, parents, etc.?
The children of Martin and Myrtilla Bishop were:
1. Emeline Bishop was born ca. 1842 in McLean Co. IL. Did she marry Francis A. Merriman on 7 Oct. 1858 in McLean Co. IL?
2. Charles Edwin Bishop was born 23 Jan. 1841 in McLean Co. IL. He died 21 Apr. 1921 in Downs Township McLean Co. IL. He married Frances (Fanny) M. Lake on 11 Jan. 1866 in Bloomington, McLean Co. IL. She was born Sep. 1841 in IL. In 1900, at age 58, she reports having 8 children with 8 children living. During the Civil War, Charles E. Bishop served three years as a Private in Co. B of the 94th Illinois Infantry. Any additional information about the following children would be greatly appreciated.
a. Nettie Bishop was born circa 1867 in IL. b. Edward Charles Bishop was born Jan. 1870 in IL. c. Albert (Bert) Bishop was born circa 1872 in IL. d. Frank I. Bishop was born circa 1876 in IL. e. Ella Bishop was born circa 1877 in IL. f. Jessie Bishop (female) was born 19 Mar. 1879 in Bloomington, McLean Co. IL and died Jan. 1929. g. Ora Bishop (female) was born 19 Sep. 1881 in Bloomington, McLean Co. IL and died 7 Jan. 1964. h. Ethel Bishop was born 26 Jun. 1886 in Bloomington, McLean Co. IL and died 6 Apr. 1974.
3. William James Bishop was born Sep. 1843 in McLean Co. IL. He died circa 1900-1910. Does anyone know the exact death date and location? William J. Bishop married Anna St. Clair McFarland on 17 Jan. 1872 in Bloomington, McLean Co. IL. She was born in Monongahela City PA on 5 Apr. 1853 the daughter of James Campbell McFarland and Rebecca M. Logan. During the Civil War, William J. Bishop served three years as a Private in Co. C the 33rd Illinois Infantry from August 1861 to August 1864. In July 1863, a rebel bullet pierced his head and disabled him from further service until January 1864. He was discharged in August 1864 and survived until 1900-1910 and was elected sheriff of McLean Co. IL. He and his wife are known to have had two daughters:
a. Mabel St. Clair Bishop was born 26 Mar. 1874 in McLean Co. IL. She married Charles Harris Apple 21 Nov. 1894. She gave birth to a son 14 Oct. 1895. She died 26 Oct. 1895. b. Mattie Campbell Bishop was born 27 Jan. 1876 in McLean Co. IL. She is a single secretary living with her mother in the 1920 census of Bloomington IL and single and living with her mother and working as an assistant secretary with the school board in the 1930 census of Bloomington. She never married and died Apr. 1974 in Bloomington McLean Co. IL.
4. Mary Bishop was born in 1845 in McLean Co. IL. She married Olden (Ollie) B. Myers 6 Sep. 1866 in Bloomington, McLean Co. IL. They had a son William Olden Myers who married Elizabeth Adams. They also had children named Emeline and Charles.
5. John Bishop, born ca. 1848 and died in infancy. Soon thereafter, August 13, 1848, the mother died also, at the age of twenty-nine years.
Martin L. Bishop married (2nd) Margaret Glascock on 2 Nov. 1848 in McLean Co. IL. She was born 16 Jul. 1826 in Fauquier Co. VA, the daughter of Daniel M. Glascock (b. 11 May 1795 in Loudoun Co. VA; d. 15 May 1848 in Sangamon Co. IL) and Mary E. Lake (b. 20 Sep 1798 in Loudoun Co. VA; d. 4 Apr 1840 in Sangamon Co. IL). Margaret Glascock Bishop died 14 Aug. 1897. In the 1880 census, Margaret Bishop is living with her daughter Eva and son-in-law Milam R. England in Fancy Creek Sangamon Co. IL and her marital status is listed as “D” for divorced. Martin L. Bishop appears to be living in Chicago. Does anyone have information about this divorce?
The children of Martin and Margaret Bishop were:
6. Martin L. Bishop Jr. was born 25 Sep. 1849 in McLean Co. IL. He died 7 Mar. 1916 in Clarksville, Pike Co. MO. He married Elizabeth Jane Rust 10 Nov. 1874 in Bloomington, McLean Co. IL. She was born 22 Oct. 1858 in McLean Co. IL and died 23 May 1935 in Bloomington, IL. At age 55, in 1910, she reports having had 2 children total and 2 children still living.
a. Lulu Bishop was born Oct. 1884 in McLean Co. IL and died Jul. 1966 in AZ. b. Byron Merriman Bishop was born 25 Jan. 1888 in Bloomington McLean Co. IL and died 7 Sep. 1981 in Eldon. MO. He married Ethel Hartman (Maude) Chaney and they had a son Robert (b. ca. 1917), and two daughters Dorvis born ca. 1912 and Ann born ca. 1914.
7. Tupper Bishop died in infancy.
8. Florinda L. Bishop was born 11 Jun 1855 in Heyworth, McLean Co. IL. She married Thomas Jefferson Rust (b. 26 Mar 1849 in McLean Co. IL; d. 6 Sep 1930 in Bloomington IL) on 18 Jan 1872 in McLean Co. IL. She died 21 Dec 1916 in McLean Co. IL. Thomas Jefferson Rust was among the most extensive stockmen of the country, shipping as many as 120 carloads of stock per year. He was feeder of largest number of cattle in Central Illinois and known as the "Cattle King."4 The couple had two children:
a. John Bishop Rust was born in 1874 and died in 1930. He married (1st) Drucilla Kemp and (2nd) Minnie Kwosigroh Weinard. He had three children with his second wife: John, Robert, and Jean. b. Imo Jean Rust was born Jan. 1887. She married Earl Voodry. They had one child: Thomas J. Voodry.
9. Robert Grandon Bishop was born 26 Dec. 1856 in Heyworth, McLean Co. IL. He died 19 Dec. 1933 in San Diego CA. Robert married Amelia Helen Rassner on 27 Jan. 1878 in McLean Co. IL. She was born Feb. 1857 in IN. Both of her parents were born in Germany. In 1910 she reports having 5 children and 5 who are living. These children were:
a. Irene Belle Bishop was born 21 Jan. 1879 in Randolph Township McLean Co. IL. She died 4 Oct. 1968. She was a teacher in 1900. She married John Wallace Reed on 1 Jan. 1902 in Thayer, Montgomery Co. IA. b. William Rassner Bishop was born 2 Nov. 1882 in Sumner KS. He died Aug. 1982 in Johnson Co. KS. He married Catherine Ann (cassie) Fate in 1906 in Coburg Montgomery Co. IA. c. Ira Sumner Bishop was born 10 Mar. 1885 in Sumner KS. He died 7 Aug. 1965 in Red Oak IA. He married Grace Elizabeth Fate 6 Jan. 1909 in Red Oak Montgomery Co. IA. d. Benjamin Franklin Bishop was born 15 Mar. 1889 in Elliott Montgomery Co. IA. He died 4 Jan. 1961. He married circa 1911 and had a daughter Lois L. Bishop (b. ca. 1912). He laters seems to have married Mildred E. ? and had at least two children, Betty A. Bishop born ca. 1924 in IA and Rex G. Bishop born ca. 1925 in IA. e. John Edward (Bird) Bishop was born 8 Mar. 1892 in Elliott Montgomery Co. IA. He died 12 Jul. 1937 at Atlantic IA. He married Ruth Elizabeth Olmsted at Vesta Johnson Co. NE on 18 Feb. 1917. They had two daughters.
10. Eva J. Bishop was born circa 1860. She married Milan R. England 20 Feb. 1877 in Bloomington, McLean Co. IL.
11. Lucinda Jennie (Jane) Bishop was born circa 1869.
We would greatly appreciate any information that you can provide about Martin L. Bishop (1818-1897) of Clark Co. OH and McLean Co. IL, his wives Matilda Jane McRoberts and Margaret Glascock, and their children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and other descendents. Please also provide corrections to any information above that might be inaccurate.