The following excerpts are taken from the book "History of Randolph County," pg. 490.
Amos Smith was born in Pennsylvania about 1783, and moved to Kentucky when a young man; married Elizabeth Ashby, in Kentucky, about 1805, and came to Miami County, Ohio, about 1807; to Wayne County, Ind., about 1810; moved back to the Ohio settlements for fear of the Indians in 1811; returned to Wayne County again and afterward settled in Darke County, Ohio. In 1830, he came into the wilds of Jackson Township, Randolph County, being nearly or quite the first permanent settler in that township. He came in the spring with a son and daughter, partly grown, the boy to help him clear a patch and put out a crop, and the girl, Esther (now Mrs. Carn, of Grant County, Ind.), to cook and keep camp for them. Probably she helped outdoors, also, for the camp needed but little attention, and they had but little to cook, and the girls in those days could pile brush as fast as boys could. They put out their crop and he brought his whole family in August, and the whole company lived in a camp for some time. He had had fourteen children, eleven of whom greew up and were married. Two were married in Darke County, Ohio, and he brought nine into "Randolph woods;" and the others came afterward, bringing the whole family together. Four of them are living so far as known. He entered eighty acres of land, and on that homestead he resided nearly twenty-five years, tilling his land and working, also somewhat as a cooper. He removed, in 1853, to Grant County, Ind., and died there about 1856, his wife outliving her husband and dying in 1863, seventy six years old. Mr. Smith was, like many of the pioneers, a famous hunter. In politics, he was a sturdy Whig, and afterward a Republican, though he died not long after the rise of that party. He joined the Disciples shortly before his death. In politics, he was long nearly alone in that Democratic stronghold. At one time there were only three of his faith in politics in the township. As to the settlers in Jackson Township, it is probably that few permanent settlers were there much before Mr. Smith. An old man by the name of Ishmael Bunch lived about one half mile southwest of Dolphus Warren's , on Lowe Branch. He was a "squatter" and did not reside there very long. Philip Storms was also in the region, owning no land, however. Eli Noffsinger, then a young man, made a clearing about the same time, and moved his mother and sisters up to his cabin perhaps the next spring. John Sheets came not long afterward. There was not a house from Hill Grove to New Lisbon. Andrew Debolt came about 1831 (date difficult to read - could be 1834). Mr. Smith appears to have been in the township four years before he entered his land, W. S. E. 27, 21, 15, eighty acres, May 15, 1834 (?1831).
Note.--Mr. Simmons seems to have come before Mr. Smith and James Porter says that he came in 1829. Mr. Porter's first entry of land was in October 29, 1833. There seem to have been some settlers on the Mississinewa, in the west part of Jackson Township, before those in the neighborhood of New Lisbon. Mr. Porter says his brother George came in the spring of 1829, and raised a crop and brought his family in the fall of 1829, and that Thomas Shaler had been a "squatter" in the same neighborhood for some years. William Simmons probably lived in Ward Township, as he was down the Mississinewa from James Porter's."