Greene Co, OH had many places which offered “safe” places for runaway slaves and offered passage to the next station. Some are gone now but there is evidence of trapdoors and tunnels in some of the old buildings.This is only a partial listing.
NOSKER Residence:located at 550 US 68 South. There’s evidence of a trap door went to steps leading to a tunnel into a small cave in the front yard. Slaves were brought in cattle cars on the railroad running behind the house.
LEACH House - 713 E Main St, Xenia.There were two LEACH families on E Main St so it is questionable although this one has traditionally been identified as a station.
RODIN House - 987 US 35 East. The basement had boiler plate doors and some claim it was a “holding area” for runaways. Indications of manacles remain which mean this was not a place refuge.
REV SAMUEL WILSON, 204 E Market St, Xenia, Ohio (now the Assembly of God Church).Rev. Wilson offered his home for an Anti-Slavery convention in the early 1830’s.
HARDING house, no longer exists, was near 2661 Wilberforce-Clifton Rd.Grandmother Harding used to tell of holes in the backyard used to conceal slaves and of a secret cellar under the house not connected to the regular cellar.
COLONEL CHARLES YOUNG’s house at 1120 US 42 East is being restored by the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity. Colonel Young was the 3rd black American to graduate from West Point.The cellar and barn are said to have been hiding places. A crack across US 42 lies directly above a tunnel.
BISHOP JOSHUA H JONES had a farmnear 1805 US 42 but it no longer exists. Rev Jones was Wilberforce University’s 4th president.His barn had a false-floored hayloft, cave and a root cellar.
HENRY CORRY house at 2975 Grinnell Rd, no longer exists. This stone house was destroyed by fire in the 1960’s and had a hidden trapdoor leading to an underground room.
The SAMUEL HOWELL place on Wilberfrce Switch Rd no longer exists, but slaves were hidden in the cellar. At night, Howell would take the runaways by wagon to the next station.