PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM
pg 579, 580
DANIEL M. ST. JOHN is the owner and occupant of a fine farm in Greene County, and numbered among the most prominent farmers and stock-breeders of Caesar Creek Township. He now owns three hundred and thirty-five acres of valuable and carefully managed land, upon which a complete set of farm buildings has been erected, all being substantial and well adapted for their respective purposes. For the past ten years Mr. ST. JOHN has been breeding Short-horn cattle, and has had marked success in his enterprise.
The gentleman with whose name we introduce this sketch is a grandson of John and Rhoda (WOOD) ST. JOHN, who came from New York to Warren County, Ohio, early in the present century. They reared a large family, among their children being Isaac, David, Daniel, Aaron, William, Joseph, Betsey and Phoebe. Grandfather ST. JOHN was a strong Whig, a substantial farmer, and was connected with the New Light Church.
Daniel W. ST. JOHN, the father of our subject, was born near Lebanon, Warren County, and reared on a farm. About 1828 he came to Greene County, settling on one hundred and thirteen acres in Caesar Creek Township, to which he added until the estate comprised over three hundred acres, which he improved. In 1865 he purchased one hundred acres near Xenia, which he made his home during the remainder of his life. He breathed his last in February, 1873, his wife, formerly Miss Eliza BONE, also a native of Warren County, surviving him about a year. He was a breeder of fine Short-horn cattle, and his financial success was due to his own efforts, as he began life without capital. He was a Whig and a Republican, and took a strong stand against secession. He was a life member of the Methodist Episcopal Missionary Association, and both he and his wife were active members of that church. Their family comprised the following children: Cyrus B., of Jay County, Ind.; Joseph M., who died in Coffeyville, Kan.; John W.; William H., who was drowned in Caesar Creek, leaving a widow and three children; Daniel M.; Sarah A., the widow of James MCNAIR, of Dunkirk, Ind.; Charles W.; Jeniah F.; Eliza Jane, wife of Frank PETERSON, whose home is near Coffeyville, Kan.; Isaac W., now of Dunkirk, Ind., who served in the One Hundred and Fifty-fourth and Seventy-fourth Ohio Infantry during the Civil War; and Lorenzo R.
The subject of this biographical notice was born June 13, 1835, on a farm adjoining that which he now owns and occupies. He was reared upon the parental acres, obtaining a common-school education and a practical knowledge of the arts of agriculture. At the age of twenty-one years he began life for himself, locating on one hundred and fifty acres of his present estate, which he improved, and to which he has largely added. He has manifested a high degree of enterprise in the pursuit of his chosen calling and throughout his life exhibited such sterling traits of character and fine principles as to give him a high standing throughout the community. He served his country, during the late war, enlisting May 1, 1864, as a private in Company H, One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Ohio Infantry, and being discharged with the rank of Corporal. The only battle of importance in which he took part was at New Creek, W. Va., although he performed the usual amount of arduous and dangerous campaign duties. In politics he is a Republican. In 1889 he was elected Township Treasurer. He and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The estimable woman who since January 23, 1858, has been Mr. ST. JOHN’S most highly prized counselor and true helpmate, bore the maiden name of Eliza BEAM. She was born January 19, 1840, on the farm where she now resides, and is the only survivor but one in a family of seven children. Her brothers and sisters, William, Silas N., John C., Mary C. and Julia A., died within six weeks of each other, in 1846, of typhoid fever. The other living child is Daniel H. BEAM. Mrs. ST. JOHN is a daughter of Daniel and Anna (HAINES) BEAM, both of whom were of German extraction. They were born February 16, 1794, and March 11, 1801, respectively, and married April 20, 1820. Their home was in Augusta County, Va., whence they came to Ohio about 1828, settling where their daughter now lives, on fifty acres of land. Before his death, which occurred November 11, 1846, Mr. BEAM had accumulated one hundred and eighty-five acres of land. His widow survived him many years, dying April 26, 1882, at an advanced age.
To our subject and his estimable wife ten children have been born, of whom we note the following: Anna B. became the wife of David G. FORD, and died in Kansas, leaving a son and three daughters; the second member of the family is Aba H.; Alletha L. is the wife of David PAINTER; William died at the age of two years; Ada J. is the wife of A. J. THOMAS; Ella D. is the wife of Franklin WALKER; the other members of the family are Arthur E., Dora B. Oscar E. and Bertha E.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Greene and Clark Counties, Ohio
Chapman Bros., Chicago, Copyright 1890.
*looking for connections to the St. John line that is buried in St. Ignatius Cemetery in Oregon, Ohio. Do not know if this article is connected to them or not.