From the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F. A. Battey & CO., Publishers. 1883." page 344, Princeton Township, White County, Indiana
"PROF. WILLIAM IRELAN, Principal of Wolcott Public Schools, and pastor of the Christian Church, is a native of Greene County, Ohio, son of JAMES and ELIZA (MILLER) IRELAN, born July 25, 1837; is of Scotch-Irish lineage, and the eldest in a family of seven children; his father died in 1855, and mother in 1881. The education of PROF. IRELAN has been extensive and thorough. He first attended the common school in Ohio, and after coming to Indiana he, for a time, attended the same kind of school. In the summer of 1846, he entered a select school at Burnettsville, taught by PROF. HUGH KNICKERBOCKER, of Union College, New York. PROF. IRELAN graduated in 1872 at Butler University, Ohio. When a mere boy, he began teaching; he taught his first school in Jackson Township; was afterward Principal of the Burnsttsville Schools, and served many terms at that place. In 1861, he went to Minnesota and taught a select school at Belle Plaine. After teaching one term, he returned to White County, and on the 30th of August, 1862, enlisted in CAPTAIN GEORGE BOWMAN's Company, Twelfth Indiana Volunteers, as a private, but was afterward appointed to a Corporalship. He was wounded at the battle of Missionary Ridge November 25, 1863; was discharged from the service at Indianapolis February 6, 1864. October 13, 1864, he married MISS C. E. BUESING, of Burnettsville, Indiana. MRS. IRELAN is also a graduate of Butler University. To this union have been born four children, viz.: CLIFFORD, OTTO, OWEN and ELMER. In 1865, he was appointed Superintendent of the Public Schools of White County. This office he held three years; he held the first County Institute in White County. In 1866, he took charge of the Monticello Schools. This position he resigned in 1868, and accepted the pastorate of the Christian Church at Burnettsville; he is also the organizer of the Christian society and founder of the Christian Church at Wolcott. In 1880, he took charge of the Wolcott Schools, and in this capacity remains; he is a thorough Republican."