From the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F. A. Battey & CO., Publishers. 1883." page 319, Jackson Township, White County, Indiana
"A. H. IRELAN was born in Carroll County, Indiana, in 1837, and was one of nine children born to WILLIAM and LUCINDA (HANNAH) IRELAN, natives respectively of Kentucky and Ohio. In 1834, WILLIAM IRELAN came from Greene County, Ohio and settled in Carroll County, this State (Indiana); lived there fourteen years; then came to this township and improved eighty acres of land, on a part of which was subsequently laid the original plat of Burnettsville; four years later, he moved to the south of Idaville, where he bought and improved 100 acres of land; later, he returned to Burnettsville, where he kept hotel two years, and then removed to Carroll County, where he died September 8, 1855. His widow resides in Idaville, at an advanced age. A. H. IRELAN was reared a farmer, and at the age of fifteen began work on his own account. In 1863, he moved to Idaville, thence to Minnesota, and a year later came back to Burnettsville. In October, 1864, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was honorably discharged July 17, 1865. On his return, he engaged in farming, and in May, 1880, began merchandising. He was married September 13, 1857, to MISS NANCY HEINY, daughter of JACOB and SARAH (LANTZ) HEINY, of Carroll County, Indiana. Six children were born to this marriage, of whom two are now living - CLAUDIUS D. and SINGER B."