p. 731-732 of the County History book of Carroll & Harrison Counties read:
THOMAS SIMPSON maintained his home in Athens Township, Harrison County, from the time of his birth until his death on October 13, 1920.He was one of the veteran representatives of farm industry in this township, besides being a scion of one of the honored pioneer families of the county.He was born on his father's old homestead farm in Athens Township February 9, 1848 and was a son of James and Sarah Jane (Evans) Simpson, the former of whom was born in the state of New York and the latter at Harrisville, Harrison County, Ohio, a daughter of the late Dr. John Evans, who was a pioneer physician and honored and influential citizen of that village.James Simpson was a son of Alexander Simpson, who was a native of Ireland, and the family name of whose wife was Powers.He came from the old Empire State to Ohio and settled in Harrison County in the pioneer days, ihs son James having been a boy at the time, and he developed one of the productive farms of the day in Athens Township, where he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives, their religious faith having been that of the Presbyterian Church.Their children were eight in number, namely:Samuel, Alexander Jr., Thomas, James, Jane, Ellen, Nancy and Mary.
James Simpson became one of the successful farmers and substantial citizens of Athens Township, whree he owned a farm of 114 acres, and where he remained until a few years prior to his death, when he removed to the village of New Athens, where both heand his wife died.They were active members of the United Presbyterian Church of Cassville during the many years of their residence on the farm.They were the parents of seven children -- Margaret, John, Thomas, Evans, Martin W., Frank P. and Rachel.
Thomas simpson, the immediate subject of this sketch, passed the period of his childhood and youth on his father's farm, and in the meanwhile profited by the advantages afforded in the district schools of Athens Township.This township was from his young manhood the stage of his vigorous and successful activities as an agriculturist and stock-grower and his well improved farm comprised 140 acres.At one time he owned 224 acres in Coshocton County and sixty acres in Belmont County.He was loyal and liberal in the support of measures and enterprises projected for the general good of the community, and his political attendance was given to the republican party, both he and his wife being zealous members of the Rankin Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1873 Mr. Simpson wedded Miss Susannah Tipton, daughter of the late Joshua Tipton, a well-known citizen of Harrison County, and they had six children -- Walter, Wilbur E., Charles C., Blanche, wife of John Edawrd Simpson, and Albert A. and Harry R., twins.