From the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F. A. Battey & CO., Publishers. 1883." page 428, Round Grove Township, White County, Indiana.
"JOHN V. BROWN was born in Hocking County, Ohio, July 15, 1846, and is the second of the seven children born to SIMPSON and CHARLOTTE (BECK) BROWN, natives respectively of Virginia and Germany. At the age of ten, SIMPSON BROWN was taken by his parents to Ohio. In 1840, he settled in Hocking County, where he farmed on shares; in 1852, he moved to Franklin County, and thence in 1855 to Cass County, Indiana; thence in 1857, to Fulton County; thence to Tippecanoe County in 1866, and then, 1872, to this township, where he died March 19, 1876, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. JOHN V. BROWN remained with his father until February, 1865, when he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Fifty-fith Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until August, 1865. On his return, he farmed on shares in Tippecanoe County until the spring of 1872, when he came to this township and bought a 160 acre farm of unimproved land, which, thoroughly improved, constitutes his present farm. February 24, 1875, he married CHARLOTTE H. WARNER, a native of LaFayette, Indiana, who has borne him four children, three of whom are yet living - ADDIE M., JENNIE M. and EFFIE B. In politics, MR. BROWN is a Republican, and for one term served as Township Trustee; he is a member of the Pine Grove Horse-Thief Detective Association, and he and wife are members of the Free Will Baptist Church."