A Narrative History
The People of Iowa
SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN
EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY,
EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M.
Curator of the
Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa
THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc.
Chicago and New York
FRANK HANNA, M. D., is one of the veteran and honored physicians and
surgeons of Pottawattamie County, where he has been established in the practice of his profession in the attractive little City of Walnut during a period of more
than half a century and where he has made his influence large and benignant both as a citizen and as a physician and surgeon whose able ministrations have here constituted a communal asset. The doctor has been identified closely
with the development and progress of his home community and is one of its best known and most revered citizens.
Doctor Hanna was born in Licking County Ohio, October 16, 1846, and is a son
of Andrew G. and Lavina (Sharp) Hanna, who became the parents of four sons
and two daughters. Of the surviving children Dr. Frank Hanna of this review
is the eldest; Andrew has long been identified with mining operations and is
now a resident of Colorado; Ruth is the wife of J. M. Dinwiddle, president of
the Cedar Rapids Savings Bank, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Andrew G. Hanna was born in Pennsylvania, and was engaged in the milling business in Richland County, near Mansfield, Ohio, many years. Both he and his wife came to Iowa City, Iowa, in 1852, and resided in this state up to the time of their death. Both were earnest members of the Presbyterian Church, and he was a stalwart advocate of the principles of the Republican party. One of the sons, the late Col. John T. Hanna, served during the entire period of the Civil war, and gained prominence as a sharpshooter. He was advanced to the rank of lieutenant colonel, and he continued in service after the close of the war, in command of a negro regiment, his honorable discharge having been accorded in the latter part of the year 1866.
The early education of Dr. Frank Hanna was acquired in Iowa City. He was a
youth when he came to Iowa and gained his measure of pioneer honors. In
preparing for his profession he profited by the advantages of the medical
department of the University of Iowa and took further studies in a leading medical
school in the City of Chicago. During the first tow years of his professional
career he was engaged in practice at Iowa City, the seat of the University of
Iowa, and on the 9th of April, 1873, he established his residence at Walnut,
Pottawattamie County, which place was at that time a mere hamlet. Here he
has continued in the practice of his profession during the long intervening
years, and in years of continuous practice he is now the virtual dean of his
profession in this county. He is an honored member of the Pottawattamie County
Medical Society, the Cass County Medical Society and the Iowa State Medical
Doctor Hanna has ever been loyal and progressive as a citizen, is a staunch
Republican in political allegiance, is affiliated with the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and his wife
is an active member of the Presbyterian Church in her home community, where
likewise she has long been a loved personality in the communal social life.
In 1880 Doctor Hanna was united in marriage to Miss Huldah Vanderburg, who
was born in the State of New York, and who was reared and educated in Iowa,
her father, James D. Vanderburg, who had been a tanner in the old Empire State,
having become one of the pioneer farmers of Iowa, where he and his wife
passed the remainder of their lives. Doctor and Mrs. Hanna have no children, but
during the long years of their residence in Walnut the children of the
community have been numbered among their most loyal and appreciative friends, as one generation has followed another.
*Check your facts, don't know how accurate.