The Toledo Insane Asylum, later known as Toledo State Hospital, began accepting patients in 1888.
It was comprised of 34 buildings, 20 of which were cottages housing the "less extreme cases"; more "violent" patients were housed in restricted buildings. The campus also included an administration building, a greenhouse and a large farm on which the patients worked, ice house, chapel and an auditorium.
In front of the administration building was one of their infamous lakes/lagoons which, according to hearsay, was the final resting place of some patients.
Most of the buildings were razed in the mid-1970s and their Sunshine Cemetery was professionally exhumed ca 1981 with many graves transferred to Forest Cemetery.
The hospital was enumerated in the 1900 and 1910 censuses. In 1900 it was in ward 15, ED 113 and in 1910 it was in ward 10, ED 131.