Seeking additional information about the William Patterson family who resided in Madison county Ohio circa 1820.
The information that I have is: William Patterson obtained a grant of land from the Commonwealth of Virginia on 17 January 1792. This land was 205 acres on a "branch" of the James River in Botetourt county Virginia. This land was near the Rich Patch Mountain. He sold the land to his son Thomas on the 10th of September 1805 for the sum of "one hundred two POUNDS". See Botetourt County Virginia Deeds, Book 8, pp. 623 & 624 (LDS has copied this as: Film # 0030705).
Another deed conveys the same land -- or another parcel as the photocopy is extremely difficult to read -- to Robert Patterson, another son of William Patterson. This land was sold for $300. and was 102.5 acres in Botetourt county "on a branceh of the James River near the Rich Patch Mountain" in Botetourt county Virginia. This land was sold by William Senior on the 25th of June, 1816 to his son Robert Patterson who resided at that time in Madison county Ohio. This deed is in Botetourt Virginia Deed Book 12 on page 177-178.
Other information I have is: names of known children of William Patterson: (1)Jane, who married Thomas Kilgore February 11, 1813 in Madison county Ohio (by the Reverend Lewis Foster) She stated her father as William Patterson Senior on her marriage license. See Madison county Ohio marriage records. The resided in eastern Madison county all their lives after marriage. See also Madison county "mug" books for biographies/references to Thomas Kilgore and his wife Jane Patterson Kilgore. I know names of their children but do not know other descendants.
(2) Elizabeth, who married a John Persinger 27 August 1806 in Botetourt county, Virginia, according to Botetourt county Virginia marriage record. I do not know any more information about this John Persinger family, whether they stayed in Botetourt county or moved to Allegeny county Va (now West Virginia). That is why I am soliciting information from other Persinger researchers. Curiously, an Elizabeth Persinger married William Frakes/Fraikes in Madison county Ohio on July 13, 1819 by minister Nicholas Moore. I do NOT know whether this bride is William Patterson's daughter or was actually born a Persinger. CLUE-- I cannot find any Persinger families in eastern Madison county or neighboring Franklin county Ohio at that time. In any event, no further information is known about Elizabeth Persinger Frakes and William Frakes except they moved by 1833 to Logan county, Illinois which at that time was still part of Sangamon county Illinois.
(3) William Patterson, son of William Patterson, married a Rebecca Persinger 27 March 1813 in Botetourt county Virginia, according to Botetourt county Virginia marriage records. See this source. This family apparently moved north to Madison county Ohio as Rebecca released her dower rights to land when William sold it in Madison county Ohion on January 1819. No further information is known about this line.
(4) Thomas Patterson of the first deed married Jane Kilgore (brother of Thomas Kilgore) in Franklin county Ohio in 1810 (this was before there was a Madison county Ohio). I have lots of information of this line as my husband descends from it. I have a marriage of Jane Patterson Kilgore to Cyrus Strong in Madison county Ohio on February 19, 1824. I have names of some of descendants of Jane and Thomas Patterson's three children: Thomas, Elizabeth, and John Kilgore Patterson. These families moved to Champaign county Illinois in 1833 and remained there. Later, children of Elizabeth who had married Thomas Jacob Richards in 1835 in Champaign county, moved to central Indiana circa 1900. Thomas, son of Thomas, is mentioned in a guardianship paper in 1835 in Champaign county Illinois. This paper names Cyrus Strong "infant heir of Thomas Patterson, late of Madison county Ohio" as his guardian. A biography of John H. Strong of Champaign county Illinois states that his grandfather, Cyrus Strong, was the stepfather of "his friend, Tommy Patterson". My children descend from: William Patterson and Cyrus Strong. I can share additional documentation if you need it, please send me your home address.
(5) Robert, mentioned in Deed two (above).
(6 and 7) possibly Moses and James who are identifed as "sons of William Patterson" in Madison county and Franklin county Ohio deeds. Where they sons of William Senior or junior? And, there was another William Patterson who resided in Franklin county at that time. So whose children are they?
(8) an Elizabeth Patterson, who married first John Moore and then his cousin Stephen Moore, in Botetourt county Virginia. This family moved up to Madison county Ohio and then on to Logan county Illinois. By her age, I would say that she may have been a cousin or sister to William Patterson Senior and not a second daughter who happened to be Elizabeth. This is inconclusive.
(9) an Alexander, who married a Rebecca Sharp possibly in Ohio who moved to St.Francois county Missouri. All information on this Alexander is also inconclusive even though 3 ladies claimed descent from William Senior for DAR membership in 1922-1930. (Interestly, three years earlier the first of these DAR applicants had written to the U. S. Penion office for information on this William claiming that their relative, Alexander, was a BROTHER of William!). I was told by lineage experts at the DAR that these three ladies would not be granted membership in DAR today as the standards of proof of lineage are tighter than they were back in 1920-1930.
If anyone out there can provide further information I would love to have it.