One of the pioneer Methodist organizations of the township was the Beech Grove Methodist Episcopal Church. It was organized in the year 1833, at the house of George Otewalt, by the Rev. Jesse Goddard, of Champaign County, a pioneer minister of the above church. The first house of worship was built on the site now occupied by the present neat chapel in 1840. The ground was donated by Samuel Brandenburg, by deed bearing the date June 20, 1840.
George Otewalt, Joseph Stott and W. P. Black were the organizers and Trustees; Joseph Stott being the first Class-Leader. The present house of worship was built in the year 1857 .
The following is a list of the ministers who have served the church: Revs. Laws, Elsworth, Conry, Newson, Musgrove, Fields, Creighton, Dinkins, Williams, Purkiser, Brown, Black. Robinson, Peck, Whitmer, Verity, Jackson, Rec tor, Edgar, Kirk, Fidder, Cheney, Shultz, Peak, Deam, Prince, Baker, Zink and the present Pastor, A. D. Raleigh. The above list constitutes the complement of ministers of the Methodist Episcopal Church who have filled the circuit of which the Beech Grove charge constitutes a part, and whose names will be recognized by all old Methodists of the township.