The following Biographical sketch was copied from the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI, INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F.A. Battey & Co., Publishers. 1883. page 721, Indian Creek Township, Pulaski County, Indiana.
"JOHN M. WARD M.D., was born in Harrison Township, this county, July 28, 1852, and is second of a family of seven children born to G. S. and LOVE J. (DOUD) WARD, natives respectively of Ohio and New York. In 1828, at the age of seven years, G. S. WARD was taken by his parents to Logansport, (CASS County) Indiana, where his father, SAMUEL WARD, was engaged as a contractor on the Wabash & ERIE Canal. In 1839, the family came to what is now Harrison Township, this county, where SAMUEL WARD pre-empted 200 acres of land, for which he later obtained a patent. While still a young man, G. S. WARD purchased eighty acres adjoining the old homestead, which he cleared up and on which he still resides. He was married in 1850; is a member of the Christian Church, and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. JOHN M. WARD, after a preliminary course of instruction in the common and High Schools of the county, took a three years course at the Union Christian College at Merom, Indiana, teaching during the interval nine terms of school of an average of five months each. In 1878, he began the study of medicine with DRs W. H. and G. W. THOMPSON, of Winamac. In the class of 1881-82, he graduated from the Medical College of Indiana at Indianapolis; he then entered into practice at Pulaski, in company with DR. C. N. HUSTON. November 14, 1882, he bought out the interest of D. W. GOBLE in the drug store at Pulaski, and the business is now conducted under the firm name of HUSTON & WARD. DR. WARD was married, March 7, 1882, to MISS ELLA M. CONDON, a native of Morrow County, Ohio. In politics, the Doctor is a Republican."