From the book "HISTORY AND BIOGRAPHY, COUNTIES OF WHITE AND PULASKI INDIANA. Historical and Biographical. Illustrated. Chicago; F. A. Battey & CO., Publishers. 1883." page 346, Princeton Township, White County, Indiana
"JOHN H. KINNEY is a native of Pickaway County, Ohio, born May 17, 1840, and is one of nine children born to WILLIAM and MARY A. (PHEBUS) KINNEY, who were among the first settlers of Princeton Township. The subject of this sketch is of German-English descent, and came with his parents from their Buckeye home to Princeton Township in 1851, and began settlement on Section 32. The first house in which the KINNEY family lived was a miniature frame structure, 14X16 feet, with an eight foot story. Two years afterward, an addition was erected, in dimensions the same as the first building. MR. KINNEY received a fair common school education. In 1851, he taught a winter term of school at what was known as the KINNEY SCHOOLHOUSE. October 1, 1862, dates the marriage of MR. KINNEY to MISS ELIZA A. TEMPLETON, daughter of JAMES and RACHEL TEMPLETON, who came to this county about 1849. To them have been born four children - KATIE, LUCY E., WILLIAM C. and JOHN E., who died May 3, 1878. MR. KINNEY worked for and farmed on shares with his father until he was thirty years old, when he began managing for himself. In March, 1882, he purchased the old homestead, and now has two hundred acres of well-improved land. He believes in the faith advocated by the Christian Church, and MRS. KINNEY is a member of that church. He is a staunch Republican."