During the prosperity of Miami university at Oxford, many of the young men of Israel township went there, and received a liberal education. Preparation for the freshman and sophomore classes was made at the Morning Sun Academy which, as near as can be ascertained, was established about 1850. Several years before this, Rev. John McCracken, while teaching in the district school on the same lot whereon the academy was afterwards built, taught ambitious students some of the more advanced branches, and gave them a classical taste. He was followed by Rev. James Brown, who, in turn, was succeeded by Samuel Elliott.
In a short time, through the efforts of Mr. Elliott and others, the organization of a stock company was effected, and about four thousand two hundred dollars for the Academy in Morning Sun. The house, two-story and commodious brick, was soon put up, the brick having been made on the farm of Hugh Elliott. Terms were of ten weeks with tuition of $13.50
Samuel Elliott, after teaching about ten years, was compelled to resign on account of poor health. At this time the attendance was about fifty. After Mr. Elliott the teachers have been: Rev. John Wilson, Rev. J. A. Reynolds, William Sloan, Tames S. Wilson, John Marshall, R. J. Miller, 0. V. Stewart, T. H. Wiley, Homer Sheely and R. E. Sloan. The school closed about 1877 and the school was bought in 1884 by the Israel townshp board of education and became school # 10