Exciting News!An antique Photo Album from your county has surfaced and you are being given the first chance to possess it.This beautiful, thick album includes Tintypes and Carte-de-visites from Tuscarawas County, in Ohio, in the 1800s.
Let me stress that I am not related to this family it is just that I see family photos lost in antique stores and I think that is sad. So, I have decided to try and do something about it by returning as many as I can to their rightful families.I buy photos with names and dates or places on them and list them on my webpage, so descendants of these lost souls can find them and buy the actual album and bring them home. I don’t normally contact the families directly but I am getting ready to list this album at
and I wanted the descendants to have a chance to obtain it first.
This heirloom is the size of most Civil War era albums. The book measures 4 1/4" wide by 5 1/2" long x 3" thick. The locking clasp, "pearl" buttons, gold inlay and cameo are all intact, however the covering on the back has peeled off due to extreme age. But the important thing is that the photos are all in excellent condition. There are 39 carte-de-vistas , 10 tintypes and a drawings. All of the pages are filled and many are named.
A couple of the photographs simply state "Uncle Lee" or "Uncle Lee's Girl" and do not list the last name, but I checked on-line and found research done by others, that leads me to believe these are from one extended family, from Tuscarawas Co.,Ohio.It appears that the album was put together by Absolom & Rebecca Demuth Stocker, from Gnadenhutten,Tuscarawas County, Ohio.See the research below.
The names in this album include:
Rose Ann Stocker (tintype) Mr. and Mrs. Knauss Delila Wright Joshua Demuth (Mrs) Eliza Hoy Maria Stocker Jesse Engler Joseph Stocker Sr. and wife Andrew Stocker Bejamin Demuth & wife Will Stocker Nellie Stocker Rose Stocker Agnes Stocker Wesley and Eva Flickinger & Aunt Marie Charlie Stocker Sam & Ida Knauss (Siblings) Charlie Stocker
Uncle Lee Uncle C. S. Uncle Lee’s girl Jim Peter
Here are names from the album and examples of how research done on each of these families helps connect the pictures to Absolom & Rebecca Demuth Stocker:
-Andrew Stocker Absolum’s father: Andrew Stocker , Jr. b: 25 MAY 1778 in Northampton County, Stockertown, Pennsylvania
-Maria Stocker Absolum’s mother: Maria Magdalene Haas b: 30 MAR 1788 in Northampton County, Lower Saucon Township, Pennsylvania
- Mr. and Mrs. Knauss Whom I believe is Alcinda Stocker b.7 AUG 1834 in Gnadenhutten, Ohio to Absalom Stocker b: 10 MAR 1814 in Northampton County, Stockertown, Pennsylvania and Sarah Stecher (Absalom’s 1st wife) b: 1814 d. 1927 Alcinda m. John Benjamin Knauss on 15 JUL 1855 in Tuscarawas Co., Ohio.
- Sam & Ida Knauss Children of John and Alcinda Demuth Knauss? - Delila Wright Delilah Ann Stocker was Absalom’s daughter from 1st wife Sarah Stecher. She was b. 1833 in Tuscarawas County, Ohio d.1903 in Fayette County, Illinois. The 1860 census of Tuscarawas County, Ohio listed her as Delia. She 1st m. Edward RANK on 25 DEC 1851. She 2nd m. John W. WRIGHT (b: 15 SEP 1831) in 1857.Their children were Alice b. 1852, Mary b. 1858, George Washington b. 1860, Emma b. 1862, Charles Elmer b. 1865, Anna b. 1867, Ida b. 1871 and Agnes b. 1876.
-Jesse Engler Absalom’s son-in-law. Jesse E. Engler b.10 APR 1868 in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Son of Lewis Jonathan Engler (b: 1834 in Gnadenhutten, Ohio) On 9 JAN 1859 in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, he m. Elizabeth Stocker (b.7 MAR 1836 in Tuscarawas County, Gnadenhutten, Ohio d.7 JAN 1905) daughter of Absalom Stocker and Sarah Stecher.
- Wesley and Eva Flickinger & Aunt Marie Researcher Mila Rechcigl says that Amelia Maria Stocker b. 1856 in Gnadenhutten, Tuscarawas County, Ohio (d. 1934) to Absalom Stocker and Rebecca Demuth Stocker. She m. Franklin L. Flickinger (b: 1852) in 1881 in Tuscarawas County, Trenton, Ohio. Children 1. Ava Roy Flickinger b: 17 JAN 1882 2. Battie Edna Flickinger b: 17 JAN 1888
- Joshua Demuth Joshua Hiram Demuth was Rebecca’s brother. Joshua was born 2 May 1813 in Pennsylvania. He was a child of Joseph Allen Demuth and Catherine Susanna Schumacher. He married Anna Elizabeth Taylor 11 Jul 1841 at OH; Joshua died 14 Apr 1889 at OH at age 75.
- Bejamin Demuth & wife – Bejamin was Rebecca’s brother. He was a child of Joseph Allen Demuth and Catherine Susanna Schumacher.
- (Mrs) Eliza Hoy Eliza was Rebecca’s sister. Researcher Patricia O'Connor states that the Hoy’s come from England and first appear on the 1850 Tuscarawas Co., Ohio census. They must have moved to Ohio between 1830 and 1843. Eliza Demuth was born 1827 to Joseph Allen Demuth & Catherine Susanna Schumacher. She married Solomon Hoy.Eliza died 1914 at Iowa City, IA.
Please contact me if you are interested in purchasing this album and bringing it back home.
Robert D. King BobKing@Northlink.com Family Fotos On-Line