Today the intersection of Goshen Ave. SE and Ohio 416 inthe south side of New Philadelphia, OH places you at the heart of what was Lockport.
From the History of Tuscarawas County, Ohio 1888: Lockport was laid out in 1829 by Frederick Shull and Gottlieb Fackler on the south side of the Ohio Canal immediately above Lock 13. The original plat included sixty nine lots. In 1830 the proprietors made an addition of forty lots 70 109 north of the canal. Its streets were Jackson, North, Canal, Adams, Clay and Ferry. In 1833 the original plat was partially vacated and re-surveyed and Lots 110-121 were laid out on the south side of the canal. The streets were First, Second and Third extending north and south and Canal street running east and west. In 1872 Lots 75-87 inclusive located on West Adams street were vacated. Blakesfield was laid out in 1845 by Walter M Blake on land adjoining Lockport on the east. It comprised forty two lots all of which were located between the canal and river Broadway was the main street. Twelve lots of Blakesfield 1-12 were situated west of Broadway and thirty lots east of it. South Blakesfield was laid out in 1851 by Mr Blake south of the canal and adjoining Lockport. The lots eighty seven in number were located on both sides of Broadway In 1858 Samuel Howe made an addition to Blake's Mills (Lockport) consisting of thirteen lots on the west side of Oldtown street or Broadway and south of and adjacent to the canal. In 1870 Jacob Darst made an addition of twenty six lots south of the canal and on the east side of Broadway. Mr Espich built the first house in Lockport. Samuel Sedgwick was an early tavern keeper Conrad Eager owned and conducted the first store. In 1855 Clark Robinson started a mill to make oil from cannel-coal but the inexhaustible supplies of rock oil discovered soon after in Pennsylvania made the enterprise a failure. It was the canal that brought Lockport into existence and the village still smacks of its origin. A dozen or more old boatmen reside here some of whom dwell during the winter in houses while others take up winter quarters in their boats.