DR. ALEXANDER W. LAYBOURN. Although owning and residing upon a farm in Springfield Township, Clark County, the above named gentleman devotes his attention to the practice of his profession, in which he has been actively engaged since June, 1854. He enjoys a large practice, and his reputation as a successful physician extends over a wife territory, while his long life in the county would alone entitle him to the knowledge of a large circle of acquaintances. He was born in Harmony Township, October 3, 1818, acquired a good common-school education, and began his career in life as a farmer. He began reading medicine, however, with Dr. Berkley GILLETT in 1846, and attended lectures at Sterling Medical College, Columbus. It has been his aim to inform himself regarding all the later discoveries in medical science and to keep thoroughly abreast of the times in his professional knowledge. That he has succeeded in his efforts and that he makes a wise use of remedies known to the medical world, is abundantly proved by the fact that he has not been pushed aside by younger physicians.
The father of Dr. LAYBOURN was born in Yorkshire, England, was christened Elisha, and when old enough became a farmer. Having come to America and to the Buckeye State, he made the acquaintance of Miss Abigail WOOD, a native of Warren County, and of English and German ancestry. In Springfield Township, Clark County, they were united in marriage, settling in the western part of Harmony Township, although the husband afterward bought a small tract of land in Springfield Township, upon which he settled and where he died March 8, 1861. His widow survived until March 20, 1877. They were the parents of four children, three of whom died when quite young, leaving our subject as the only representative of the family. He remained with his parents until grown to manhood, when he married and settled on the old homestead adjoining his father’s home. He now owns two hundred and fifty acres of land on section 9, which he rents to his son.
The first marriage of Dr. LAYBOURN took place in Harmony Township, his bride being Miss Susan E. MOORE, who died in Springfield Township. The union was a childless one. The second wife of our subject was in her girlhood Miss Jane THOMAS, her birth place being Hull, England. She was removed by death September 15, 1849, leaving two sons: Elisha and John. The first-born is carrying on the farm and John is a railroad engineer.
The present Mrs. LAYBOURN bore the maiden name of Mary J. WOOD. She was born near Catawba, Pleasant Township, and ably presides over the home, surrounding her family with the comfort which results from woman’s taste and careful oversight of household affairs. She is the mother of four daughters: Ellen, Florence, Maggie and Ida; the eldest is now the wife of Frederick WHITE, but the others still brighten the home by their presence.
Dr. LAYBOURN has always been a Republican. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and has been for over twenty years. He has held some of the school offices but prefers to devote his time entirely to his profession, feeling that thus he can do more for his fellow-men than in any other line of work. While performing some chemical experiments on May 22, 1872, he had the misfortune to lose his right hand. The accident has not prevented his continuing his studies and investigations, nor lessened his usefulness to any perceptible degree.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Greene and Clark Counties, Ohio Chapman Bros., Chicago, Copyright 1890