a bio on p. 1107 of the Wood County History Book reads:
David L. Leslie is a citizen of worth; and one of the most progressive agriculturists of Bloom township, which is the place of his nativity.He was born January 22, 1851, a son of David and Mary (Brandeberry) Leslie.
The father of our subject was born August 30, 1813, in Columbiana county, Ohio, where the grandfather, Joseph Leslie, followed farming for many years.David was married in Carroll county, Ohio, August 29, 1833 to Miss Brandeberry, who was born in Carroll county, April 13, 1814, a daughter of Conrad Brandeberry.They lived in Carroll county until the fall of 1848 when they took up their residence upon the farm which is now the home of our subject.A cabin of logs and bark was built in the midst of the woods, and wild game could be secured only a short distance from their home, such was the primitive condition of the country.The father died in Carroll county, Ohio in 1875 and the mother died in Gratiot county, Mich., about 1884.Their children were Joseph, who was born May 26, 1834 and died at the age of three years; Contrad, born October 31, 1836, who died March 19, 1864 while going from Libby to Andersonville prison, having been made a prisoner while serving in the 111th O.V.I.; Susan, born December 30, 1838, now Mrs. John Alexander of Bloomdale; William, who was born April 13, 1841 and died in Pekin, Ohio, in June, 1892; Elizabeth, born August 10, 1844, now Mrs. James Valanc of Ithaca, Mich; Mary, born November 10, 1846, wife of Levi Fowler of Berrien County, Mich.; John, born March 10, 1848 of Gratiot County, Mich.; David L., subject of this sketch; Stephen, born September 30, 1853 of Jackson, Mich.; and Matilda, born March 9, 1857, wife of Frank Dell, of Ashland county, Ohio.
Mr. Leslie received but limited educational privileges, for from the age of thirteen years he has not only provided for his own maintenance, but also aided in the support of the family.At the age of twenty-one, he went with his father to Calhoun county, Mich., and there earned the first money which he was allowed to retain, his other earnings having been given to his parents.He was married January 21, 1875 in Eagleville, Ohio, to Alice Leathers, the ceremony being performed for W.S. Richards.Mrs. Leslie was born in Bloom township, June 9, 1855, a daughter of William and Catherine (Ziegler) Leathers.Her father was the first native white child of Bloom township, born March 6, 1834 and was killed in a gristmill in Eagleville.Our subject and his bride began housekeeping on the old home farm, lving in a log cabin.He operated forty acres of land for his mother and subsequently he bought the home farm at sheriff's sale, his father having in the meantime sold it to Patrick McManus, who could not pay for it.It became Mr. Leslie's property in August 1880.He now has forty acres cleared and under cultivation, drained by five and a half miles of tiling, and it is one of the neatest and most thrifty looking farms in the county.In 1893 he built a large barn and the community recognizes in him one of its most progressive agriculturists.
Mr. and Mrs. Leslie have had five children -- Nettie L., who died at the age of one year and nine months; Dessie F.; Frank B.; Charles W. and Don H.The parents are members of the Liberal United Brethren Church of Pleasant Grove, of which he has served as trustee.In politics he was formerly a Republican but he is now identified with the Prohibition party.He is a self-made man in the best sense of the term.