I would like to know more about the family and ancestry of William and Mary (Miland) Howell of Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma.
WILLIAM ALOUISUS HOWELL of Dale, Oklahoma was born 12 August 1856, son of William and Mary (Miland) Howell. It was believed that Mary was of full Cherokee Indian blood.By family tradition, Mary's final resting place was in Blackburn Cemetery in Shawnee, Oklahoma, but we were not able to confirm that.
William A. Howell married Mary Margaret SAYRE who was born 16 September 1853 in Barbour County, (West) Virginia to Enoch and Elizabeth (Felton) Sayre.Mary (Sayre) Howell died 7 September 1916.William married 2nd, ALICE HAWKINS, and they had one child.William died of Uremia 11 August 1928.Burial was in Blackburn Cemetery, Shawnee, Oklahoma.
1. (female) HOWELL (-infancy)
2. TENNYSON HOWELL married CAPITOLA VARA WILLIM.
3. LULA MYRTLE HOWELL, b. 6 April 1878, LaCrosse, Kansas;married () SMITH.She married 2nd, J. FRANK CECIL.
4. ENOCH LESTER HOWELL, b. 9 July 1879; married MAY HOWELL, and lived in Monette, Barry County, Missouri.He died 15 May 1940.
5. NINNON CECIL HOWELL, b. 14 or 16 October 1881; d. 11 April 1882.
6. ROLLO PINKERTON HOWELL, 16 November 1882 in New Virginia, Iowa; married
HAZEL () of Drumright, Oklahoma.He died in his sleep 15 June 1935.Burial was in Blackburn Cemetery, Shawnee, Oklahoma.
7. ALGERNON SWINBURN (“ALGE”) HOWELL, b. 23 May 1884; died in New Orleans, Louisiana 24 April 1937.
8. WINNIE MILAM HOWELL, b. 23 October 1885. He married VERNA DORMAN.
9. MARYCORALHOWELL, b. 19 October 1887; m. MARTIN T. GLYNN and lived at Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.Mary died 1 October 1929 of vaginal cancer.Burial was in St. Louis, Missouri.
10. OVERTON ORELL (“SWEETIE”) HOWELL of Nowata, Oklahoma, b. (19 July, or) 24 September 1889; died of acute failure of heart valves aggravated by chronic trauma from war wounds 23 April 1937.Burial was in Blackburn Cemetery, Shawnee, Oklahoma.
11. WATTRING (“WATT”) ADELL HOWELL, b. 30 September 1891 Monett, Missouri.He was also called “Wattie” as a nickname.“Wattie” was documented on his military and death record.He was a World War I veteran, having served in France in the (then Army) Air Force.He married ELIZABETH MARGARET (or MARY) SADOWSKY.
12. MILES CHRISTY HOWELL, b. 10 April 1893; d. 30 October 1893.
13. CORLISS SAYRE HOWELL, b. 11 September 1894 Monett, Missouri.He was a Major in the U. S. Army.He served in the Army for 30 years in the 45th Division.He married 1st, MANILLA(), a full-blood Indian woman, and they had six children.Manilla became ill with “TB”, and her sister adopted the two youngest children when illness made Manilla unable to care for them.Manilla's illness was terminal.Corliss married 2nd, HAZEL ().He was Chief of Police in Shawnee, Oklahoma, for several years.They lived at Shawnee, Oklahoma.
14. FORREST FELTON (“BUSTER”) HOWELL, b. 21 January 1901 at Argo, Missouri; married 27 July 1929 at Emmanuel Baptist Church in Shawnee, Oklahoma, LENA PEARL HAND who was born 21 August 1903 at Eldorado, Indian Territory, Oklahoma, to James Willis and Mary Elizabeth (England) Hand.
Child of William A. and Alice (Hawkins) Howell:
15. WILLIAM DAMASCUS SPARTA (“BILL”) HOWELL was born 16 January 1920 in Dale, Oklahoma, and raised in his Uncle Buster Howell's household.He married 1st, VERNELL SEELINGER.He married 2nd, in Houston, Texas, PATSY SMITH.They had one child and divorced.He lived in Houston, Texas for many years then moved to Midwest City, Oklahoma.He died 15 November 1990.Burial was in Blackburn Cemetery, Shawnee, Oklahoma, beside of his father.