Title: The history and topography of Dauphin, Cumberland, Franklin, Bedford, Adams, and Perry counties : containing a brief history of the first settlers, notices of the leading events, incidents and interesting facts, both general and local, in the history of these counties, general & statistical descriptions of all the principal boroughs, towns, villages, &c., with an appendix:
Embellished With Several Engravings.
Author: Rupp, I. Daniel (Israel Daniel), 1803-1878.
Gilbert Hills, Proprietor & Publisher, Lancaster City, Pa., 1846.
Though more than twenty-five thousand names of German immigrants are recorded in the Provincial Records from, and after 1725, few of those are recorded, who arrived in Pennsylvania prior to 1700.Among the first whose name has been handed down, is that of HENRY FRY, who arrived two years before William Penn; and one PLATENBACH, who came a few years later.
In 1682 some Germans arrived, and commenced a settlement called Germantown; among these were PASTORIUS, HARTSFELDER, SCHIETZ, SPEHAGEL, VANDEWALLE, UBERFELD, STRAUSS, LORENTZ, TELLNER, STREPERS, LIPMAN, RENKES, ARETS, ISAACS.About the year 1684 or ‘85 a company, consisting at first of ten persons, was formed in Germany, called the Frankford (pg. 39) Land Company, on the Mayne; their articles were executed in that city on the 24th of November, 1686.They seem to have been men of note by the use of each, of his separate seal.Their names were G. VAN MASTRICK, THOMAS V. WYLICK, JOHN LE BRAN, F. DAN. PASTORIUS, JOHN J. SCHUETZ, DANIEL BEHAGEL, JACOBUS VAN DEWALLER, JOHN W. PETERSON, JOHANNES KIMBER, BALTHASUR JOWEST.They bought 25,000 acres of land from Penn.The Germantown patent for 5350, and the Manatauney patent for 22, 377 acres.F. D. PASTORIUS was appointed the attorney for the company, and after his resignation, DAN. FAULKNER was, in 1708, made attorney.
Those who left their Vaterland after 1700, endured many hardships on their way to their future, new home; some suffered much before, while others, after their arrival here.Passing over a period of twenty years, from 1680 to 1700, they suffered comparatively little more than was the common lot of all the colonists of that period; but from 1700 to 1720, the Palatines, so-called, because they principally came from Palatinate, when many had been forced to flee from their homes in other parts of Europe, endured many privations before they reached the western continent.
In 1708 and 1709 upwards of ten thousand, and many of them very poor, arrived in England, and were there for some time in a starving, miserable, sickly condition, lodged in warehouses; who had no subsistence but what they could get by their wives begging for them in the streets till some sort of provision was made for them by Queen Anne; and then some were shipped to Ireland, others to America.In the month of August, 1709, pursuant to an address to her Majesty, Queen Anne, fron the Lord Lieutenant and Council in Ireland, desiring as many as her Majesty should think fit to send, three thousand were sent tot Ireland; many of whom returned again to England, on account of the hard usage they received from the Comissary, who did not pay them their subsistence.In the summer of 1710, several thousand Palatines, who had been maintained at the Queen’s expense in England, and for some time afterwards in America, were shipped to New York; some of whom, afterwards, came to Pennsylvania. (pg. 40)
Hundreds of those, transported and sustained for some time by Queen Anne, were gratuitously furnished with religious and useful books, before their departure, by the Rev. Anton Wilhelm Boehm, Court Chaplain of St. James.The principal book was “Arndt’s Wahres Christenthum.”Among these German emigrants were Mennonites, Dunkards, German Reformed, and Lutherans.Their number was so great, as to draw the remarks from James Logan, Secretary of the province of Pennsylvania, in 1717, “We have,” said he, “of late, a great number of Palatines poured in upon us without any recommendation or notice, which gives the country some uneasiness, for foreigners do not so well among us as our own English people.”
Those who arrived between 1700 and 1720, settled in the lower parts of Montgomery, Bucks, Berks and Lancaster county.Several German families settled within the present limits of the last named county, between 1708 and 1711, the number was considerable before 1718.
In 1719. Jonathan Dickinson remarks, “We are daily expecting ships from London which bring over Palatines, in number about six or seven thousand.We had a parcel who came out about five years ago, who purchased land about 60 miles west of Philadelphia, and prove quiet and industrious.Some few came from Ireland lately, and more are expected thence.
From 1720 to 1730, several thousands landed at Philadelphia, and others came by land from the province of New York; the latter settled in Tulpehocken.These left New York, because they had been illy treated by the authorities of that province.It was feared by some “that the numbers of Germany, at the rate they were coming in about 1725 and 1727, will soon, as Jonathan Dickinson expressed himself at the time, produce a Germany colony here, and perhaps such an one as Britain once received from Saxony in the fifth century...(pg. 41) From 1730 to 1740 about 65 vessels, well filled with Germans, arrived at Philadelphia, brining with them ministers of the gospel and schoolmasters, to instruct their children.A large number of these remained in Philadelphia, others went seventy to eighty miles from Philadelphia, some settled in the neighborhood of Lebanon, others west of the Susquehanna, in York County.From 1740 to 1755 upwards of one hundred vessels arrived with Germans; in some of them, though small, there were between five and six hundred passengers.In the summer (pg. 42) and autumn of 1749, not less than twenty vessels, with German passengers, to the number of 12,000 arrived.Thousands of those who immigrated to Pennsylvania between 1740 and 1755, lamented bitterly that they had forsaken their Vaterland for the new world.There was within this period a certain class of Germans, who had resided some time in Pennsylvania, well known by the name of Neulaender, who lived at the expense, pains and sufferings of the more credulous abroad.They made it their business to go to Germany, and there, by misrepresentations and the grossest fraudulent practices, prevailed of their countrymen to dispose of in many instances to sacrifice their property, abandon their schools and churches, and come to the New World, which these Neulaender never failed to represent as a perfect paradise, where the mountains were solid masses of gold, and fountains of gushed milk and honey.Many were sold on their arrival for a series of years, as servants topay the expense of their passage.Those disposed of, were termed Redemptioners, or Palatine servants.
CHRISTOPER SAUERS, of Germantown, who for many years printed a German paper, in which he spoke freely of the religious and civil liberty, and prosperity of the province of Pennsylvania.He wrote of the blight of the German people.
Pg. 45, The writer’s paternal grandfather, JONAS RUPP, a native of Sinsheim, was among the number of those who were robbed: his chest broken open, all his effects stolen, and himself on his arrival, friendless and pennyless, sold as a Redemption servant, for two years and six months to one Leonard Umberger, near Lebanon.JONAS RUPP arrived in the ship Phoenix, commanded by Captain Spurrier, September 25, 1751.One of four hundred and twelve who embarked in the same vessel, only one hundred and eighty survived to land at Philadelphia; and of these many died soon after their arrival.(pg. 48)
The number of Germans about the year 1755, was not short of sixty or seventy thousand in Pennsylvania; nearly all of them Protestants; according to the Rev. Schlotter’s statement, at the time, there were thirty thousand German Reformed, the Lutherans were more numerous.Besides these, there were other Germans, viz.: Mennonites, German Baptists, (Dunkards), Moravians, some few German Quakers, Seventh-day Baptists, Catholics, and Schwenfilders.
The number of German Catholics did not exceed (1755) 700.In the autumn of 1754, 158 Catholics arrived at Philadelphia.
The numbers of Catholics in 1757, beginning from 12 years of age, including German, English and Irish, about 1400, according to the statement by Mr. Warden, April 29, 1757.There were then in and about Philadelphia and in Chester County, under the care of the Rev. Robert Harding, 90 males and 100 females, all Irish and English.In Philadelphia city and county, Berks and Northampton, under the care of THEODORE SCHNEIDER, 252 males and 248 females, all Germans; in Berks and Chester, 92, whereof 15 were Irish.In Lancaster, Berks, Chester and Cumberland, under the care of Ferdinand Farmer, 394, whereof 97 were Irish.In York County, under the care of Mathias Manners, 54 German males, 62 females; 35 Irish males, and 38 females.
About nine-tenths of the first settlers of York, then including Adams County, were Germans, and some small proportion of Cumberland now within the limits of Franklin, was originally settled by them, and some part of Dauphin (then Lancaster).Cumberland was exclusively settled by Scotch, and Scotch Irish, with the exception of a few English.The Germans did not begin to immigrate into the lower part of Cumberland till about 1760 or 62.The great influx into Cumberland commenced about 1770.In the lower part of the county, were among the early German settlers, JOHN GERMAN, HENRY LONGSDORFF, JOHN LEININGER, MICHAEL BORE, MICHAEL KUNKLE, ANDREW CAPP, MICHAEL DILL, MICHAEL HACK, CONRAD MANASMITH, BALTZER SCHNEIDER, MATHIAS SAYLOR, CHRISTOPHER WITMAYER, CASPER WEBER, SIMION KRAUSS, ELIAS EMMINGER, LEONARD FISCHER, MARTIN HERRMAN, PHILIP JACOBS, CHRISTOPHER MAYER, JONAS RUPP, GEORGE RUPLEY, CASPER REIDER, JOHN SCHERER, JOHN WORMLEY, CHRISTOPHER EICHELBERGER, W. BUCHHALTER, CHRISTIAN FUCHS, JACOB HERSCHBERGER, SIMON PRETZ, HENRY UMBERGER, ADAM ARRIS, ADAM KREUTZER, DANIEL FRANKS, JACOB OTHENWALT, JOSEPH BAUMANN, DEWALT ERFURTH, JACOB FORNEY, HENRY HERSCHBERGER, HENRY HUMBARGER, PHILIP LANG, JACOB LEBENSTEIN, and some others who had all settled before 1775, in East Penn Township.
The following are among Germans who had settled in Allen Township before 1775, viz.: ADAM KUHN, CHRISTIAN (pg. 50) SCHWARTZ, CAROLUS EMHOFF, PETER ALBERT, JOHN KNAUER, CHRISTIAN BOLLINGER, JOSEPH STRACK, HEINRICH TUSTUS WEBER, MICHAEL WEISS, JACOB WEISS, GEORGE WINGLER, HENRY YORDEE, JOHN SCHAEVER, HENRY TOM, JACOB YORDEE, LUDWIG BRAUN, JOHN GERBER, JOHN GRIEGER, ABRAHAM HEID, JACOB KNOB, JACOB MILLER, SAMUEL NEISLY, ADAM-BARNHART, LUDWIG BRANDT, JOHN BIELMAN, JOHN COCKLIN, JACOB COCKLIN, LEONARD WOLF, SAMUEL BAER, JOHN BRINDEL, MARTIN BRANDT, JACOB BRICKER, JACOB KREISER, GIDEON KOBER, JACOB FREY, PETER HERR, JOHN RIEHM.
In the Conogocheague settlements, there were several German settlers at a very early period, about 1736-’45, among these were the SNIVELYS, SCHNEIDERS, PISCACKERS, LIEPERS, LEDERMANS, HARICKS, LAWS, KOLPS, GABRIELS, RINGERS, STEINERS, SENSENY, RADEBACH, REISCHER, WOLFFS, SCHNIEDT.
Within, or on the borders of the present limits of Dauphin County, were some German families settled prior to 1745; these were, GABRIEL, SCHULTZ, MUSSER or MOSER, ROSEBAUM, RICKER, BOOR, SCHWAR, LICHTY, ROTH, SCHITZ, HAILMAN, BRECHTBILL, SIES, and others.