1. One of my correspondents gave me the name of Ethelbert as the father ofour George Hinckleton Williams.This seems to bear out in naming patterns as George named a son, Ethelbert .An unusual name and a good clue.However, it is not that simple.
2. In studying census records on Ancestry.com, I only find one Ethelbert Williams of the right age.I have found him consistently on census records from 1850 in Virginia to 1910 in Tyler, Texas.I have also found records that list Ethelbert’s father as George Williams (our George’s supposed grandfather) who marriedSally Moore and lived in Hawkins, Tennessee.They had large families and were a wealthy and prosperous family.They also owned many slaves.Ethelbert himself was a banker and seems prosperous.He produced several Doctors as children and a son-in-law became one of the wealthy businessmen of Texas.A grandson owned the Dallas Cowboys.Why was our George dirt poor, an alleged alcoholic, and ineffective family man? (From letters written by his son.)while his supposedfather and grandfather were wealthy?Doesn’t seem to work and be consistent.Something is wrong here.
3. Furthermore, these Ancestry.com records list Ethelbert and his children and do not list a son, George Hinckleton, born in 1844.George would have been bornwhen Ethelbert was about 17.This was a young age for men to marry.25 was the norm.Was George illegitimate?When grandfather George died, he left money to his grandchildren, but George Hinckleton is not mentioned.Did he know about him?Why, if he was his grandson, wasn’t he mentioned along with the others in the will?
4. In 1850 when George would have been six years old, Ethelbert is listed as a student in Virginia and is living with a brother and a cousin.He is unmarried.If George is his son, he apparently is taking no responsibility for him.
5. Because George Hinckleton named a son Ethelbert, I cannot discount the assertion that this Ethelbert is his father.It is an unusual name to say the least.However, census records do not indicate in anyway that Ethelbert is his father.They live in separate states until the late 1800’s when they are living in neighboring towns.
6. George Hinckleton was supposed to have been born in 1844 in Louisiana.Why was he in Louisiana and his father in Virginia attending school?
7. I put in a search for any George Williams’ born in 1844 in Louisiana.I narrowed the results down to one in 1850 in Jefferson, Louisiana in Southeast Louisiana and one in 1860 in East Carroll parrish in Northeast Louisiana.I firmly believe these are the same people but I am not sure they are Terry’s ancestor.However, circumstantial evidence is strong.
8. In 1850, George is six years old and is living with a woman named Holly Williams.She is the right age to be his mother.But there is no father listed.Is the father dead?
9. George Williams in 1860 in East Carroll Parish in Northeast Louisiana is listed as an orphan living with a Tompkins family.I have done research on this Tompkins family and find they were also wealthy, had slaves, and more than one ended up in Texas in the same town Terry’s George Williams was in 1880.This is strong evidence thatI have the right George.However, I cannot find him in 1870.I do know that Terry’s George married in 1874 in Teague, Texas.I feel he came to Texas with members of the Tompkins family.
10. I also found a marriage license for Holly Young and Levi Williams issued in East Carroll Parish a year or so before George was born.This means his parents were married in Northeast Louisiana, went to Southeast Louisiana to be enumerated in the census in 1850 and then George was back in East Carroll in 1860 as an orphan.Why?I believe his mother and father both died.I can find no further information on either Holly Young or Levi Williams.If this is George’s parents and he is Terry’s ancestor, Ethelbert, is NOT his father.Did Ethelbert take him in after he got to Texas?Is that why George named a son Ethelbert?Or is there another George Williams that is Terry’s ancestor that I have not even found yet.I believe that the one I have found in Louisiana IS Terry’s ancestor and that there is a BIG mystery here to solve.
What is the relationship between Ethelbert Williams and George Hinckleton Williams? Is the George H. Williams listed with Holly Williams on the 1850 census Terry’s ancestor?
Why didn’t Ethelbert’s father, George Williams name George Hinckleton in his will? Why did George Hinckleton name a son Ethelbert?
I believe the answer to these questions will help confirm who the parent’s of Terry’s George Hinckleton Williams is.