"Canaan Baptist Church -Location:Canaan Church Rd, Crawford
This Congregation traces its history to 1891 when Germans in the Prairie Chapel Community organized a Baptist Church congregation in a local schoolhouse on property owned by Heinrich Engleberecht. Forty people became charter members at the community meeting. Worship services were held in homes and in schoolhouse. In 1893 the Rev. Louis Vogt became the Church's first full time Pastor. The Rev. J.E. Sydow served as Pastor from 1898 to 1901. In 1894 the congregation built as sanctuary at this site on land owned by Engelbrecht; he later donated the land to the church. Additional space for Sunday school classes and a towner and steeple were added to the original structure in 1928. Throughout the early years, all worship services were conducted in the German Language. In 1933 members decided to have English Services were conducted in English. Instead of building a new church, members decided to remodel the existing structure in 1949. Many descendants of original church members worship here along with others in the community. (1992)"