Omro Herald Sat. May 14, 1904 p. 5 Jessie, the little five year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Coats died on Saturday night from the poisonous effects of wild parsnips which she and her little playmates had been eating on the school grounds.She supposed it was caraway, both in the blossom and formation of its leaves.When asked what she had been eating that made her vomit almost constantly, she said it was caraway.Dr. Ford who was called, went with others to the school ground and found that the caraway was wild parsnip.When he returned he told the parents there was no hope of saving the child's life.The other children had eaten more sparingly of the weed and its effect on them was not fatal.The funeral was held Monday afternoon.
Lines on the Death of Our Little Jessie. Another link in the family circle is broken, And now you are left to mourn; Your sorrow can never be spoken, Nor never be told by pen.
You’ll miss her dear face at table, Half hid by her wavy hair; To keep back the tears we’re unable, At sight of her vacant chair.
No more shall her loved voice hear you, Her voice forever is still; Though kindred and friends are near you, Her place none other can fill.