Searching for my Brown and Porter ancestors, both born in Anne Arundel, Maryland, but later lived in Monongalia/Marion County, WV. My gggggrandfather Dennis Brown was born 2 Sep 1775 in Anne Arundel. In 1798, he married Rebecca (Becky) Porter, also born in AA in 1776. Around 1803-1804, they moved to Marion County/Monogalia County, West Virginia. Before they moved, they had two children in AA:
1. Eliza (b. 1799; m. Jesse Miller, 1816; d. 1861, Maple Grove, Marion, WV) and my ggggrandp
2. John Brown (b. 1803; m. Mary Amos, 1828 in Monongalia, WV; d. 1894, Marion, WV).
In Monongalia/Marion WV, Dennis and Rebecca had 8 more children:
3. Mary (b. 1804; m. Daniel Toothman, 1828 in Monongalia, WV; d. 1871 in Marion, WV);
4. Dennis Jr. (b. 1805; m. Elizabeth Toothman, 1832, in Monongalia, WV; d. 1887 in Marion, WV);
5. Sarah (b. 1809, m. Andrew Hayhurst, 1828, in Monongalia, WV; d. 1858 in Marion, WV);
6. Elizabeth (b. 1812; m. Thomas Miller, 1839, in Monongalia, WV; d. 1890 in Indianola, Warren, Iowa);
7. Rachel (b. 1815; m. Dudley Wells, 1834, Monongalia, WV; and Thomas Alfred Atha, 1870, Marion, WV; d. 1870 in Marion, WV);
8. Allen G. (b. 1816; m. Ann Arah Wells, 1837, Monongalia, WV; d. 1867, Wetzel, WV);
9. Richard Porter (b. 1816; m. Julia Ann Wells, 1840, in Monongalia, WV; d. 1866 in Marion, WV);
10. Jesse Miller (b. 1822; m. Susanna Fluharty, 1846; d. 1886 in Marion, WV).
Dennis Brown died in 1840 and is buried in Saint John's Cemetery in Basnettsville, Marion, WV. Rebecca Porter Brown died around 1850. I think she is buried in the same cemetery, but I don't have that confirmed.
Looking for Dennis Brown's and Rebecca Porter's parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters. Also, does anyone have information on Dennis Brown's occupation? Two of his sons and possibly three of his grandsons were millers and/or millwrights.
Anyone have a nudge in the right direction?
Thanks so much for any help!