I know this sounds disjointed, but I keep circling around these people and can't seem to get there. Just read through it, and see if anythiing sounds familiar?
I don't know which is correct. I have Geary. One of the siblings in that line, Hannah, marries a Gray.
I am collecting Abbotts from several of the main ABBOTT lines. However, I have a few Giles, and some of the other names this thread mentions.
I am an Abbott, and have been stuck at Benjamin Franklin Abbott b. 1812 for over 20 years. Huge brick wall, as he died at age 28, 1841. Supposedly had 3 children. Mary F. and Silas Abbot are his children that I know almost nothing about. The son, William Augusta (could be Augustus) Abbott is my line of descent.
The information on Ben must be buried with him. There are so many crisscrosses through my parents lines that it is beyond confusing.
What I see going on in these lines:
1. Keeping this in mind, that William A. Abbott (above) m. Nancy Jane Weems. She is the dau. of John Russom Weems. Her first cousin is Nancy Weems, the dau. of James William Weems (brother to John Russom Weems). (Just) Nancy (the cousin)...her line goes to the Wilbourne Abbott line.
The Mason Locke Weems (Weems wrote G. Washington Cherry Tree scenario) are in TEXAS. There is a cemetery that has about 7 of them, all descendants of Mason Weems, the minister, and originator of the cherry tree story.Weems was originally Wymess (sp?). Washington was de Wessington.
2.Wilbourne Abbott line connects to the Chilton/Abbott line at Millstead/Key/Scott/Zumwalt, etc. (Francis Scott Key) line.
3. Mary Chilton is MAYFLOWER line. Chiltons turn up in a KEY line that ties to Abbott line at Belinda Millstead Key, Nancy KEY, a dau. m. John Sylvester Chilton, son of Richard Lewis Chilton, I think it is. I am typing off the top of my head here...One of them marries a CAIN, and the Cains tie to my Abbott line that I cannot connect to a major Abbott line, as yet. The Cain ties to Abbotts in early 1900s in TEXAS, where I am. Also the RANSOME lie.
I started seeing the CHILTONs in the last 6 months, so I am going to try to go back and review where I saw them eventually, in Washington associated lines.They are in the Cain lines with Shepherd, Leonard, Caldwell, Wallace, etc, in Walker Co., AL. Go to Liberty Hill Cemetery there and you will see some of your peeps, I think.
I know I have seen them in the Washington/Willis/Warner/Lewis/Fleming lines. Every single line I have on my mother's AND my father's sides go through those lines. Through the Reades and Millers, Terrills, Warners, Willis, Triplett (a line that really needs to be added into the mix!) but I have only so many hours in my day. LOL.
I am sure I saw the Chiltons in the Washington lines, so maybe I will look there first.
3. WINSLOW, I only have one entered, Sarah Winslow who m. Miles Standish. I haven't entered the data that has their line filtering down through the BRASHEAR/TURNER /OLIVE/OLIVER lines completely, but HAVE entered some of it, and the OLIVER/Olive lines. Winslow Turner (fairly easy to find on the Net). This will have McGlatherys and Musgroves. Those are markers for big connecting lines.
4. I am an OLIVER descendant and my lines tie to the Standish/Brashear line above. Alexander Oliver and Jane Killough. You may have some of them. Also KILGORE descendant. Alexander Oliver is in NC and OH.
5. Captain Simon Miller m. Elizabeth Reade, dau. of William Reade, who, as I recall was the brother? or nephew?, of George R. Reade who m. Mildred Warner, and both of my parents tie to that couple.
6. Willises, Warners, were still marrying in my lines in late 1800s, TEXAS, and are cousins to my Abbotts.
7. I am a Layne/Lane descendant, and this line, as well as most of the others tie into the Bolling/Pocahantas/Rolfe, probably Smith, lines at some point. The name JABEZ appears in so many of these lines. I sort of use it as a marker to find associated groups.
8. I am aa descendant of Adam "Ad" Lawrence m. Sarah Miller, dau. of Capt. Simon Miller. I know little of them, but they tie to another Capt. Simon Miller of ENGLAND that was a ship builder.
I am a BRIGGS descendant. Bridges was the ENGLISH translation of the name. BRIGGS is Scottish. Most people are saying they are two different families, but, I now see that HENRY BRIGGS (Brit) line ties to my William Robert Briggs (Scot) at Judith Wroe (of Butler and Edwards line). Pope's Creek was also Bridges Creek and on the property of Mt. Vernon.
9. About the TRIPLETT name. They appear in my BROWNE/WROE/FRENCH/MILLER, READE lines, and they also show up in a big group of ABBOTTs in Oklahoma. Also with this Abbott group are LOVEJOYS (which I see showing up in other Abbott lines, I think, even with CHILTON, Fleming, Lewis, etc.
This same OK line of Abbotts has a Cato R. Abbott, wich I just saw a CATO in another Abbott line. I think TRIPLETT is the marker here, and of course, there are others that filter in. The OK lines also have HAYNES. This line of HAYNES connect to my Lawrence/Terrell lines at McCormick. These go back to Washington/Warner/Terrill and Willis. The Lawrences tie to the Millers, to LAYNE and LAWHON sometimes seen as LAWHORN. The old original name I have heard is LANGHORNE. David E. Lawhon ties to my BRIGGS to current day, TEXAS. Many of these families have members of the Texas Rangers in them. Another surname that is consistent is, SLAUGHTER, Reuben Slaughter, Francis Slaughter in Washington lines, and have to go to the ones in AL and Texas. The Texas ones end up tying into the Lawhon/Gardner (Marmaduke Gardner) line. Rhoda Ussery is with Marmaduke. Gardner.
I may go back to Texas Handbook Online and see what Chiltons are there, may find a clue. Don't forget Custis and Justice mix with Abbott lines in MA with Mary Fraeme and James Lawrence (about 1635).Sarah Custis marries into Lee/Calvert/Cater) lines, etc. Catter and Wright are also in these groups, and turn up again in my lines, though I have not tracked them. This would be Elinor Carter.
10. Another group from NC that tie to my Joel Layne are the Whitaker/Cary line (also Pocahantas/Bolling).
11. Ann Toft...anyone seen her? She hooks up with a Scarborough, and possibly a Henderson, lives near the Washingtons, and has a bunch of children (very friendly lady) and one is said to have been an Alexander Abbott. She marries a John Abbott after her boyfriend dies. There is a Benjamin Abbott mentioned with her at some point.
All of these lines (1 through 11) crisscross through the Warner/Washington lines...Many of them end up at Henry VIII, through Joan and Eleanor Plantagenet.
I think if you add as a marker, Custis or Justice the Chiltons come up, as well. May be a clue there. AND the MASON lines. Surname MASON, and most of all these lines were members of the Masonic lodge. I wish I knew how to track through that organization, as I am sure that would help greatly!
Anyway, if you get a chance to peruse these lines above, I think you will find out more about the CHILTONS, and ABBOTTS and maybe,just maybe, find our buried brick.
If you will take one of these surnames, and add it to one of your main family member, you will definitely find more clues to your families.
If anyone comes across my Benjamin Franklin Abbott b. 1812 m. Caroline Pickett Willis, please send him along. LOL.
Oh, and Bennett, Jordan, Holland, Finch, Frisbee, McWhirter, etc. I descend from Abbotts that connect to Joshua Bennett. Also from a John J. Finch/Frisbee couple of NY.
The Daniel Boone/Bryan/Allen lines also connect to these families several times. So, needless to say, the Stephen Fuller Austin, Emily Austin line,. FULLER seems to be a marker in many of these lines, like Austin.
JONES, HARDEY (HARDEE), WHITAKER, LAYNE, JUSTICE or (Justus), the FOWLERS/EVANS tie to LAYNE, Oliver, Whitaker, Anderson lines.
OK, I am just putting this out there.