Title: History of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania: including its early settlement and progress to the present time ; a description of its historic and interesting localities ; its cities, towns and villages; religious, educational, social and military history ; mining, manufacturing and commercial interests, improvements, resources, statistics, etc. ; also, biographies of many of its representative citizens
Author: Cushing, Thomas, b. 1821
The opening of the Pennsylvania Railroad in October, 1851, and of the Pittsburgh & Connellsville (B & O) several years later, with the improved navigation of the Monongahela River, conferred upon this locality unequalled advantages for manufacturing purposes.The construction of these works was begun by Carnegie, McCandless & Co., Andrew Carnegie, William Coleman, John Scott, David A. Stewart, Thomas M. Carnegie, Andrew Kloman, William P. Shinn, David McCandless and Henry Phipps, Jr., constituting the firm, which was organized Jan. 18, 1873.The Edgar Thomson Steel Company, limited, was formed June 2, 1874, by the same parties, and the works were operated under this name until April 1, 1881, when the firm of Carnegie Brothers &Co., limited, assumed control.Henry Phipps, Jr., is the chairman of this association; Dr. A. Stewart, vice-chairman and treasurer; S. E. Moore, secretary; the board of managers, including, also, John Walker, George Lauder, Henry M. Curry, WILLIAM L. ABBOTT, and William H. Singer.