Here is an excerpt from "The History of The South Fork Baptist Association", published in Lincolnton, N.C. by Journal Print Co., 1901, 203 pgs. by William Alexander Graham:
HEBRON CHURCH (Portions of Page 12 & 13)
Abernethy's ferry, (now known as Rozzell's,) was on the Catawba river, twelve miles west of Charlotte, at the point where the plank road to Lincolnton crosses the river. it was the head of navigation. "Flat boats, " laden with cotton and other produce, passed down the river from here to Charleston, which was the "entre port" for all this section. The boats were frequently sold after the cargo had been disposed of, as "poling" against the current frequently left but little for "freighting charges" above expenses. There was a canal from the Santee river to Charleston.
At the session of 1788, the Legistlature of the State granted a charter to a company to "remove obstructions to navigation in the Catawba River." One or more appropriations were made to aid the work. The race now used at Mountain Island Mills was cut to avoid the shoal, as was also the one at the "Powder Mill" at Tuckaseegee Ford. Boating was continued until 1836. Afterwards the people of the country went by wagon to Camden and then by boat to Charleston although they sometimes made the entire trip in wagons. On the Western, or Lincoln, side of the Catawba, at Abernethy's Ferry, was located Hebron church, a sketch of which, prepared by its order, I insert:--
Hebron Baptist church was organized at Abernethy's Ferry, on the Catawba river, in Lincoln county, N.C., in the latter part of the 18th century. The log house in which these people worshipped first stood on the river bank, immediately at the ferry. No records of the church are known to exist earlier than 1834, but tradition and references in old deeds, carry us back to 1792.
An old negro woman now living, and nearly one hundred years old, whose name appears on the old church roll as "Sally, servant of Mr. Henderson," says her husband, Jake, who belonged to Richard Rozzell, told her that he was at the "raising" of the old church, and that James Abernethy "took up" one corner. This James Abernethy was drowned in 1785.
The tract of land on which the church stood was conveyed to Nathan Abernethy by James Abernethy and his mother, Elizabeth, on the 28th day of March, 1792. Nathan Abernethy sold to Nathan Saddler August 20th, 1803.