ADARE - TOWN & PARISH, co. Limerick On arrival of the English, in the reign of King Henry II, it had a castle and a chaurch. In the following century it became the property of the Fitzgeralds, of whom John, the 1st Earl of KILDARE, founded a monastery here in 1279.
This establishment was called the BLACK ABBEY.
Prior to 1310 the town appears to have been incorporated, as in that year a grant of murage & custom was made by King Edward II to "the bailiffs and good men of the town of Adare", and in 1376 King Edward III issued a writ to the sheriff, etc., the town then recently burned & destroyed by the Irish enemy, Turlough O'Brien".
The castle was originally erected by the O'Donovans, and rebuilt by THOMAS FITZGERALD, 2nd EARL OF KILDARE in 1326. Gerald, a subsequent Earl was accused of treasonable practices and the castle was forfeited to the Crown, but he was restored to his estate by favour of Henry, Prince of Wales, who made him hi deputy-governor of Ireland, but he was later imprisoned in the Tower of London where he died.