This is pretty much what I know on James. I hope it helps.
James Addair (My G.G.G.G.Grandfather)
James was born abt. 1750 in an unknown location to me at this time.
He died abt. June 13, 1823 in Montgomery Co., VA.
He married three times.
1st. Wife - He married Annis Harbison abt. 1767
2nd wife - Unknown
3rd wife - Martitia (Letitia) Page
James Military records
James was in the militia in the colonial years. He also fought in the Revolutionary War.
He signed the Oath of Allegiance in Oct. 1777.
James Addair's Ferry.
William Tabor signed a petition for James Addair to open a ferry boat in 1791.
James owned several Plantations in Va. After James died His son (James Jr.) then took over his Estate.
After James Jr. died, in 1847 there was a lawsuit of, Summers VS Tunnell regarding the ESTATE OF JAMES ADDAIR JR.
James and Annis’s Children
James Jr. Adair born 1768; died March 24, 1845, Pulaski Co., Virginia. James Jr. never married.
Jane Adair born 1770; died February 10, 1835 Jackson Co., Alabama. She married John Kirby, son of Richard Kirby and Sarah Small.
Thomas Adair born abt. 1775; died abt. 1840 in Tennessee. He married Elizabeth (Betsy) Kirby abt. 1794, daughter of Richard Kirby and Sarah Small.
James And his unknown wives Children
Elizabeth Addair died before 1846
Sarah Addair died before 1846
John Addair died before 1846 (My G.G.G. Grandfather) His wife is unknown to me.
William Addair died before 1845
Marry Addair died before 1846
Susanne Addair born 1789, Montgomery Co., VA; died Oct. 02, 1845 in Pulaski Co. VA.
James Addair Sr. – Guardian of David Mounts
James signed a Marriage bond of surety for David Cecil Mounts. Enabling him to marry Margaret “Peggy” Cline, Daughter of Peter Cline Sr. Peter was the original settler of Peter Creek, Pikes Co. The bond was signed on April 05, 1809. The bond is found in a book called, “Clines and Related Families of the Tug Valley” Written by Cecil Cline. I am told there is a picture of the document in the book. There is also a reference to the Bond in “Adventures on the Western Waters” Written by Mary B. Kegley, Vol. 2 Page 192. It gives the date as April 05, 1809. The bond was probably for the sole purpose of consenting to the marriage. This raises several Questions; Was David’s Mother James Addair’s 2nd wife?
According to the Cline family history, Peter Cline and James of Montgomery Co., Va. had some kind of business relationship. Peter was from Pa. Was James from Pa.? (Could proof be in his Military Records)? Was the bond signed for Peter’s benefit?
James Addair and Peter Cline’s relationship
Peter Cline, Sr. was born in PA during the Revolutionary War. He served from there –afterwards, with good land taken, followed the Migration trail from Berks Co., PA down the Shenandoah Valley to Western VA and NC. Did he know the Adair’s from PA days? Don’t know. …The first evidence of Peter was being in Montgomery Co., VA. (later WV) was in 1786, when his name appears on a land transaction involving James Addair, (my G.G.G.G. Grandfather) which is in the county land records, Book D, pg. 356.Cecil Cline notes While some of Peter’s neighbors, such as James Addair, were on the roll of Montgomery Co., VA. Militia Company per an early 1780’s requirement, Peter must not have moved there until (1785-1786)
Looks like James was in Montgomery Co. before Peter. Peter’s wife was Elizabeth.
Peter Cline filed a lawsuit against James to collect an account due, which was decided in Peter’s favor in October, 1787. This lawsuit was for an account of forty shillings owed Peter Cline by James, the reason for debt was not stated. On the same date another lawsuit brought against James by Peter was continued to a later date. These lawsuits apparently did not keep James and Peter from developing a friendship, since James was surety for David mounts in 1809 when he and Margaret Cline (Peter Cline’s Daughter) were married. Record of lawsuit is in Montgomery Co. book 6, 1787.
The theory is abt. 1792-94, Peter Cline made a squatter’s claim on Peter Creek near present-day Freeburn, KY. …possibly for hunting or trapping… A record of a land survey shows Peter still in Montgomery Co. in 1799. April 5, 1809 Peter and James signed David and Margaret’s marriage bond in Montgomery Co.Peter apparently moved permanently to the Tug River area after 1811, the last year his name appears on the Montgomery Co. tax list.
According to Cecil Cline, the report claim that he had a business relationship with James in KY does not appear to be true. James had acquired 880 acres and developed a plantation near Radford, where he opened the road and established the first ferry across the new river, which he operated for many years. (Montgomery Co. Survey book B., page 581). In October, 1791 James petitioned the General Assembly to allow him to operate a ferry across the new river, from James property on the west side to the property of John Craig on the opposite side. (Montgomery Co. Legislation Petition, October, 1791 Virginia State Library Archives). This petition contained many names, including that of Peter Cline and William Tabor. In 1795 James was also appointed as an overseer of a section of roadway in Montgomery Co., from Colonel Joseph Cloyd’s to the courthouse by way of the Addair’s Ferry. As early as 1782 James was taxed on four horses and eleven cattle (Mary B. Kegley, Tax list of Montgomery Co., VA 1982.) It would appear that James was to busy with his plantation and other duties and obligations in Montgomery Co. to be involved with Peter Cline in KY. However, Peter could have been selling James furs and roots that he gathered from the Tug River location and brought back to Montgomery Co. There is a lot of information on James in Cecil Cline’s book, THE CLINES AND ALLIED FAMILIES OF THE TUG RIVER REGION OF KENTUCKY AND WEST VIRGINIA, 1998.
Early Adventures On The Western Waters
The New River of Virginia in Pioneer days
By Mary Kegley
Green Publishers, Inc.
James Addair, Sr. first appears on the New River as a tithable in 1773, being listed in Trigg’s Company. He appears to have lived on the West Side of the New River, near present Radford, probably from the time of his arrival in the community. The Commissioner’s certificates however show that he settled first on 200 acres of land on the east river in 1772, and the surveys show an additional tract of 86 acres under the loyal Company which was surveyed in 1775 (Kegley, tithables, p. 25; Montgomery County Survey Books A, p. 215; C, p. 51; D, p. 144).
Nevertheless, he acquired 880 acres of land, part of several entries and grants, and established himself near present Radford, where he open the road and established the first ferry at that location which served the residents of both sides of the river for many years (Montgomery County Survey Book B, p. 581).
In 1774 James Addair was paid for 37 days service in Captain James Robertson’s Company, and in 1782 he was taxed on four horses and 11 cattle (Kegley, Soldiers, p. 42; Kegley, tax list, p. 1).
On August 24, 1786, the Montgomery County Court ordered that James Addair have leave to open a bridle way from Pepper’s Road opposite his own house and across the River at Addair’s plantation, “thence by the office and from thence the nearest and best way” into the road leading to Callaway’s Iron Works.Although no road was established at this time, a bridle way was fixed, and the road followed later (Montgomery County Order book 1, p. 267).
In October 1791 Addair specifically petitioned the General Assembly for a ferry and the words follow here:
To the Honourable the speaker and the other members of the General Assembly.The petition of James Addair of the County of Montgomery humbly sheweth that your petitioner being an early adventurer in the Western County settled himself on the bank of the New River at a pass much frequented by travellers.That he long Continued to aid them with al the assistance a canoe could afford without requiring or indeed desiring any compensation.That thus peculiarly situated and the way in order of time becoming still more public (from a Division of the County and the erection of the Public Buildings) your petitioner was constrained to erect a boat for the accommodation as well of his neighbors as travellers.
Your petitioner therefore prays that your Honorable House would take his case under consideration and grant him leave to keep a ferry across New River from his own Land to the Land of James Craig, Esquire on the opposite shore upon similar terms to other established ferry’s across the same.And your petitioner shall pray etc.
Those who signed the petition are as follows, using the spelling given in the original petition.John Charlton, Henery Bingaman, Sameuel Spery, Peter Clyne, John Bingaman, Jones Powers, Obidge P. Spery [O’Spery?], William Tabert, Christan Bingaman, Alexander Page, Stephen Dyele, David Love, Adam Bingaman, Geo. Wiser, Jacob Peck, Bengeman Saul Cicel, Henery Wiser, Jacob Henderson, Sameuel Cicel, Matheias Wiser, John Lanter, Francis Munsey, James Hog, John King, Jacob Bingaman, James Fisher, Peter Helvie, Frederick Halve, John Pacer, Peter Riffe, John Kearby, William Taber, Juner., William Daly, Archable Tabor, William Byers, Edward Morgan, Joseph Hogg, George Peck, JohnDay, John Shepard, Thos. Johnson, SamuelMichael, George Helmets, Stephen Booth, Peter Penner, Skidmore Munsey, Philip Martin, Jacob Pait, MardockMcKensey, Jeremiah Pait, Adam Berainger, Isaac McKensey, John Munsey, Tarenc Poplay, Gasper Gareleck, John Garlick, Samuel O’Spery, Junr., Bengeman Spery, Josef Coffer (?), Richard McDanel, Brian McDanel, Joseph McDanel, John Coffer, Andrew Stobo, Hennry Stobo, John Shilling, Cary Alley, John Scot, Samuel Jones, John Shefellbarger, Alexander Mares, Sameuel Ingram, Willam Godsbuy.
The above notice was “Stuck upon the Court House of the said County on the court day thereof in the several months of August and September” and witnessed on the 3rd day of October 1791 by Abram Trigg, Clerk of the Montgomery court (Montgomery County Legislative Petition, October, Virginia State Library, Archives).
Further references are found to the Addair’s crossing of the New River, In 1794 a bridle road was opened from John Scott’s) the land later sold to Cornelius Brown of Belspring, where the Brown’s Ferry was established_ to the courthouse with the crossing of the River at James Addair’s.In 1795 a roadway from Colonel Joseph Cloyd’s (on Back Creek in present Pulaski County) to the courthouse with the crossing at the New River at James Addair’s Ferry, and with James Addair as overseer.In 1796 James Addair was bonded to keep the ferry over the New River to the lands of James Craig (Summers, Annals, pp. 851, 860, 862).
In 1799 James Adair sold to his son James Addair, Jr. 10 acres of land on the west side of the New River, The same year Thomas Addair, no relationship known, sold James Addair, Jr. 100 acres on the west side of the New. The same year James Addair, Sr. sold to James, Jr. 317 acres also on the west side of the New River, of which the ten acres was part (Montgomery County Deed Book C, pp. 239, 263; Summers, Annals, p. 938).
In 1810 James Addair, Sr. married Martitia (called Retitia or Retishe in the marriage bond) Page, the name of his first wife not recorded.In 1817 James Addair and his wife Martitia sold the 880 acres to John Mc Taylor (Montgomery County Marriages; Montgomery County Deed Book F, p. 320).
James Addair, Sr. died about 1823 when his appraisal was taken on June 13 of that year.His son James Addair, Jr. was the administrator of the estate (Montgomery County Will Book 4, p. 44).The inventory included several items of interest as follows: horses, cows, calves, yearlings, sheep, hogs, corn in the crib, one tub of wheat, one tub of rye, saddle, crosscut saw, handsaws, frying pan, mattock, scythe, cradle, “geers”, “heckle”, bacon, a soap tub, tallow, a pot rack and fire shovel, log chains, 3 ovens, 4 pots, skillet and baker, some pewter, tin crocks, churns, pails, salt, one gun, two little wheels, 4 pair of cards, one plate, razor, candlestick, money scales, cupboard and it contents, books, 3 beds, chest, a check reel, loom and tackling, some wool, a coffee mill, 2 big wheels, wheat in the field, rye in the field, a saddle, 12 geese, 2 whetstones, grindstones and axes.Debts due the estate were also listed.
James Addair, Jr. son of James, Sr. owned land in several areas, but probably lived near his father when he was first established.In 1800 he sold the 100 acres from Thomas Addair to George Surfeis [Surface], and it went eventually into the John McTaylor estate.In 1811 lands on the East Side of the New River, part of the Francis Reilly grant, also went to John Mc Taylor.The same year Addair purchased 487 acres from the Shell heirs, the land being located on Back Creek adjoining Alexander Mares.Addair appears to have lived on this tract.In 1813 James Addair, Jr. sold 100 acres, part of this tract to Abraham Songer, and in 1816 sold 204 ½ acres to Jacob Peck.In 1819 he purchased 370 acres adjoining his own lands from John Mc Taylor.This was the Goldman-Wylie tract.In 1843 he purchased 186 acres adjoining Andrew Muirhead from John and Eliza Caddall (Montgomery County Deed Books C, pp. 262, 263, 541; E, p. 279; F, pp. 141, 142; G, p. 236; Pulaski county Deed Book 1, p. 505).
In April 1844, shortly before his death, James Addair, Jr. exchanged a 60 acre tract for William Miller’s 23 acre tract.A few days later Addair sold 130 acres on the Back Creek to his nephew Ezekiel Summers “for love and affection and $1”, part of 260 acres purchased by Addair in 1833 (Pulaski County Deed Book 1, pp. 378, 379, 380).
Beginning in June 1845 the heirs of James Addair, Jr. deceased, began to sell their interests in his estate.There was a total of 1,494 acres in several tracts, and 27 slaves, 16 males and 11 females.Over the next few years 19 deeds were recorded in Pulaski County, naming heirs and co-heirs from Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Alabama, and several locations in Virginia.The Summers and William Miller had all of the ten shares except one and went to court to get a division of the estate between them.A release was made by Susan Summers, George Summers and his wife Nancy, James Summers and his wife Tabitha, and Ezekiel Summers and his wife Elizabeth to William Miller who was to pay them $1,250 in return for all the Back Creek lands embracing the mountain tracts joining, also a tract conveyed to Ezekiel Summers in the lifetime of James Addair, being part of the mountain tract.In return Miller released his claim to the “Creek lands embracing the tract called Harbison” (Pulaski County Deed Books 1, pp. 508, 510, 532, 536, 539; 2, pp. 8, 12, 32, 38, 52, 153, 157, 239, 355, 356, 469, 470, 580, 581, 700, 701).
James Addair, Jr. was not married and the only Montgomery County marriage for an Addair female is that of Jane Addair who married John Kirby in 1791.Thomas Addair was a witness (Montgomery County Marriages, Book A, p. 38).
William Miller of Back Creek who obtained the Addair property, was married in 1818 to Mary Kirby, the daughter of John, mentioned above.They had five children.He married second Clarissa Campbell and had no children.He lived to be 96 years of age, dying on Back Creek in 1891.William Miller was the son of James and Margaret Wygal Miller of Back Creek.Mary Kirby Miller and her sister Nancy Kirby Miller, first wife of James Miller, Jr., were reared by James Addair, Jr., their uncle.The mother had died and the father moved to Alabama.James Addair’s log house stood on the approximate site of James Glendy’s brick mansion called “Sunnyside” on Back Creek (Darst, The Darsts of Virginia, pp. 363, 365).