Macaulays of Glenville, Cushendall(Layde Parish)
By Paul Robinson.Thankyou Paul.
I. Alexander Macaulay of Arincaple, Dumbartonshire, Scotland went to Ireland in the Scottish army of Charles I. There he married Alice Stewart, dau of Ninian Stewart of Ballintoy and his wife, Jane MacCullough. Major Alex. Macaulay and Alice Stewart had issue: 1. Alexander, heir 2. Ealse (Alice) m. Captain Robert Stewart w/issue: 1a. James Stewart m. ? w/issue: 1b. James Stewart 2b. Dorothea Stewart m. Thomas Dawson 3b. Catherine m. George Longworth ( a branch of this family became that of Longworth- Dames of Greenhill, King's Co.
II. Rev Alexander Macaulay m. Mildred, dau of Rev Adam Reid with issue: 1. Alexander, heir 2. Mary m. 1726 John Cuppage with issue: 1a. Stephen Cuppage 2a. Adam Cuppage, linen draper 3a. Thomas Cuppage 4a. Col. John Cuppage (1741-1808) m. ? with issue: 1b. Elizabeth Cuppage, b. 1786 2b. Thomas Cuppage b. 1796 m. Frances Cuppage with issue: 1c. John Cuppage, b. 1820 2c. Rev. Adam Cuppage 3c. Lt. Col. Henry Cuppage 4c. John W. Cuppage 5c. James Cuppage, M.D. 6c. Lt. George Cuppage 7c. Alexander Cuppage 8c. Elizabeth Cuppage 9c. Sarah Cuppage 10c. Jane Cuppage 11c. Frances Cuppage 12c. Mary Cuppage 13c. Katherine Cuppage
5a. Jane Cuppage, d. 1783 6a. Sarah Cuppage m. Rev James MOORE with issue:
1b. Alexander Moor 2b. James Moore 3b. Mary Moore 4b. John Moore 5b. Adam Moore 6b. Robert Moore 7b. Charles Moore 8b. Hugh Moore 9b. Richard Moore 7a. Alicia Cuppage m. Rev Lindasay Hall with issue: 1b. Mary Hall 2b. Jane Hall 3b. Walter Hall 4b. Alicia Hall 5b. Lenora Hall 6b. Sarah Hall 7b. John Hall 8a. Margaret Cuppage m. Surgeon Douglas with issue: 1b. Mary Douglas 2b. Jane Douglas 3b. John Douglas 4b. Margaretta Douglas 5b. James Douglas 6b. Lenora Douglas 7b. Adam Douglas 8b. Thomas Douglas 9b. Anna Douglas 10b. William Douglas 11b. Catherine Douglas 9a. Elizabeth Cuppage m. Surgeon William M'Curdy, son of John McCurdy, with issue: 1b. Hellen McCurdy 2b. Lt John McCurdy, R.N. 3b. Lettice McCurdy 4b. Lt Stephen McCurdy, R.N.; b. 1785 5b. Mary McCurdy 6b. William McCurdy 10a. Mildred Cuppage m. Richard Lloyd, son of Rev. Richard Lloyd
11a. Catherine Cuppage m. 1762 John GREER of the Grance. John was a J.P. and Deputy Governor of Cos. Armagh and Tyrone.
Catherine and John had issue: 1b. Henry GREER m. 1782 Jane Lynam 2b. John Greer 3b. John Greer (1766-1787) 4b. Elizabeth Greer m. 1800 John Malcolmson 5b. Thomas GREER, J.P. m. 1795 Catherine MARTIN of Ballycastle (relative of Rev. Martin who assisted emigrants to America ?) 6b. Mary Greer (1771-1841) 7b. Jane Greer (1773-1859) 8b. James Greer, J.P. ; m. 1805 Catherine, dau of Henry O'Hara of O'Harabrook 9b. Commander John Greer, R.N. 10b. George Greer, J.P. and Director of Ulster, Belfast, and Ballymena Railways; m. 1803 Anne Armstrong 11b. Lt Alexander Greer (1780-1859) 12b. Sarah Greer 13b. Sarah Greer (1786-1823); m1 Major John Overend; m2 1813 the Ven John Oldfield, Archdeacon of Elphin
3. Rose Macaulay m. Archibald Dunlop (sometimes spelt Dunlap), son of John Dunlop and Rose MacNeale w/issue: 1a. John Dunlop m. Anne, dau of Alexander Boyd of Clare Park, Ballycastle
4. Sarah Macaulay m. Mr Alexander with issue: 1a. John Alexander m. 1760 Anne Portis with issue: 1b. John m. 1801 Christian, dau of Lorenzo Izod of Co. Kilkenny w/issue. 2a. Margaret Alexander m. Mr Cranston with issue: 1b. Sarah Cranston m. Alexander Templeton
III.Alexander Macaulay (? - 1766), K.C., Judge in the Consistorial Court, and M.P. for Thomastown m. Margaret Boyd, dau of Col. Hugh Boyd of Ballycastle with issue:
1. Alexander Macaulay, heir
2. Anne Macaulay m. 1753 Robert ADAIR, Esq. of Ballymena w/issue: 1a. Willaim Adair m. 1784 Camilla, dau of Robert Shafto of Benwell, Northumberland w/issue: 1b. Sir Robert Shafto Adair m1 Elizabeth, dau of Rev James STRODE with issue a son, Sir Robert Alexander Adair who was created Baron Wavney. Lord Waveny served as Lord Lieutenant of Co. Antrim. He m. 1836 Theodosia, dau of Gen. the Hon. Robert Meade. Sir Rober and Elizabeth had another son, Sir Hugh Adair. Sir Robert m.2 Jane, dau of Rev Townley Clarkson
3. Rose Macaulay m. 1761 John Godley, Esq. w/issue: 1a. Lt. Col William Godley m. Adeline, dau of Rev Francis Ricardo, w/issue: 1b. John b. 1800; m. 1824 Isabella, dau of Sir Thomas Fetherston 2a. Major Alexander Godley 3a. John Godley of Killegar m. 1813 Katharine, dau the Rt Hon Denis Daly of Co.Galway and his wife Lady Harriet MAXWELL, dau of Robert, Earl Farnham and Henrietta, the Countess Dowager of Stafford. John and Katharine had issue: 1b. John, b. 1814; m. 1846 Charlotte, dau of Charles Griffith-Wynne, (See Earl Aylesford), with issue.
4. Hugh Macaulay (1746-1794). Took name of BOYD to honor maternal granfather7s will. Educated at Trinity College, Dublin and St John's Collegem M.A. 1776. Served as Second Secretary to Lord Macartney , 1781. Was Master-Attendant at Madras. He m. 1767 Frances Morphy (sometimes spelt Murphy) with issue a son: 1a. Hugh Stuart Boyd (1781-1848) Educated at Cambridge. Tutor to Elizabeth Barrett Browning.
Would anyone have information on any relatives of the above who may have emigrated to America ?Thankyou.