Mrs. William ADAIR committed suicide by taking carbolic acid at her home on South Main street Sunday evening about 7 o'clock, dying within ten minutes after she took the poison. There were several persons present at the time, her brother, Charles BROOKS and wife, Len ZIMMERMAN and Jess ADAIR, who had all been at the house for supper. Her husband had just started up town after some tobacco and was only a few blocks away from the house. The parties at supper had been laughing and joking and Mrs. ADAIR appeared to be in good spirits, but during the evening had remarked that she had something in the house which she was going to use before tommorrow night, but no attention was paid to the remark. After supper Mrs. ADAIR washed the dishes and was putting them away in the cupboard when she suddenly took a bottle of carbolic acid from a shelf and swallowed about an ounce. She threw the bottle on the floor with the remark, "There it is." Dr. BOWMAN was sent for at once but she was dead before he reached the house. He viewed the body as coroner and talked with the witnesses after which he decided that an inquest was not necessary.
The deceased was a daughter of McDonald BROOKS of this city, was 25 years old and had been married twice. Her first husband was Charles DELONG, but they separated in a short time after being married. Four years ago she was married to Wm. ADAIR, but they lived together only a few weeks, and for several years she had lived in Omaha. She returned to Leon about six weeks ago and a reconciliation was effected with her husband and they went to housekeeping. The husband said they had had no trouble and the only reason for the rash act was that she was despondent over her health.
The funeral was held from the home Tuesday afternoon, conducted by Dr. Am. M. PILCHER, interment in the Leon cemetery. - Leon Reporter