Antrim and Down countries excluded from the “plantation of Ulster”.
In 1603 Randal MacDonnell, first Earl of Antrim, was granted a charter recognising his ownership of "the Route and the Glynns" in county Antrim, an area equivalent to the modern Baronies of Glenarm, Dunluce, Kilconway and Cary, including Rathlin Island.PRONI has about 300 leases for the baronies of Dunluce and Kilconway (formerly D/265).
The titles of "Viscount Dunluce" and "Earl of Antrim" were conferred on Randal MacDonnell in the 1620s and the MacDonnell estates, along with the rest of counties Antrim and Down, were excluded from the plantation of Ulster, although Randal MacDonnell voluntarily gave up 2,000 acres around the town of Coleraine
The main business of the estate however was the leasing of land for agricultural use. As well as lease books (D/2977/3B) and rentals (D/2977/7B), there are approximately 4,000 individual leases, dating back to the 1620s, which form an important resource for both historians and genealogists (D/2977/3A).
In many cases it is possible to trace the ownership of a particular area across a period of 300 years. Of particular interest are the leases granted in 1637, when the 2nd Earl (Randal MacDonnell, Marquis of Antrim, 1609-1683) re-leased the whole estate, which have been analysed in detail by Dr Jane Ohlmeyer.
Has anyone seen any of these Adair or Houston/Huston leases,or read Dr. Jane Ohlmeyer's books re re-leasing of co. Antrim ?Thankyou