ADAM, CALVIN H., p. 1661
Surnames: ADAM, KLINE, WEIDENHEIMER, SITTLER, HENRY, REINHART, MERTZ, SCHAPPEL, HEINLEY, DREIBELBIS, SCHAEFFER, HOCH, SCHLEGEL, DEYSHER
Calvin H. Adam, of Fleetwood, Berks county, is a prosperous young business man of that borough. He is a member of the firm of Schlegel, Adam & Company, dealers in grain, flour, lumber, coal, etc., and is energetic and enterprising. He was born June 29, 1869, in Greenwich township, near Virginville.
Jacob Adam, the great-grandfather of Calvin H., was a farmer, and owned a tract of land in Richmond township, which afterward he sold to his son, Jacob. This farm is located a few miles east of Virginville and is known as the original Adam homestead. He married Susan Kline, daughter of Benjamin Kline, and they became the parents of these children: Sally Anne; William; Betsy; Jacob; John; Susan; Philip and Polly. Of this family John was born in 1812, and died in 1861. He was a prosperous farmer, owning 150 acres of good land in Richmond township, near Moselem Church. In addition to farming he followed the trade of carpenter. At the age of twenty he married Catherine Weidenheimer, of Richmond township, and they had these children: Caroline (m. Daniel Sittler, of Oley, PA); John W., retired, living in Fleetwood; Annie, deceased (m. George F. Henry, station agent); Frank W., a farmer near Kutztown; Sarah, (m. V.S. Reinhart, a grocer of Kutztown); Susanna, who died aged twenty-one years; Hettie (m. Frank Adam, of Germanville, Lehigh county); Malinda (m. James Mertz, supervisor 7 years ago in Ruscombmanor township); Ella, who died aged twenty years; Allen W., who has resided in St. Louis, Mo., since 1876; William W., station agent at Virginville; and Louisa, the wife of S. S. Schappel of Windsor township, a well-known leader of the Democratic ranks in Berks county.
John W. Adam, father of Calvin H., followed farming in Richmond township for many years and now lives retired in his brick residence on Main street, Fleetwood. In 1871 he began the milling business in Heinley's Mill near Virginville, PA., where he continued for fifteen years, when he engaged in farming in Richmond township, and there spent the next twenty-one years of his life, retiring in 1902. In 1868 he married Esther D. Heinley, daughter of the late Samuel and Mary (Dreibelbis) Heinley, and their children were as follows: Calvin H,. Mary K.,(m. Alfred Schaeffer, of near Fleetwood); Amelia E., (m. Titus H. Schaeffer, a stone cutter of Fleetwood); Ida H., (m. Samuel H. Hoch, a school teacher of Fleetwood) and John S., a graduate of Franklin and Marshall College. Mr. John W. Adam is a member of the Reformed Church of Fleetwood, and has served as deacon, trustee and elder. In politics he is a Democrat and seldom misses an election.
When fifteen years of age, Calvin H. Adam went with his parents to Richmond township, settling on the road leading from Kutztown to Fleetwood. His educational career began in the public schools of his native township, and in the spring of 1865 he attended the Keystone State Normal School. He later attended the spring sessions of 1886, 1887 and in the fall of 1888 began teaching school at Moselem Church, in Richmond township. He continued teaching in the same township for seven years at Stone Lane school and in the spring of 1895 again entered the Normal school, graduating in 1896. He was one of the intellectually strong members of his class, which numbered 120 pupils, and upon graduation the patrons of the Stone Lane school district made a request of the school board for Professor Adam's reappointment as their teacher.
He again served them acceptably for two terms after which he was elected to teach the grammar school of the borough of Fleetwood, continuing there for five successive terms. After leaving the schoolroom, Mr. Adam began his business career. The firm of Schlegel, Adam & Company was formed, which at once received the patronage of the public. In addition to the selling of grain, lumber, and coal, this firm does contract work, and in 1905 built six houses in the borough of Fleetwood for themselves, besides erecting other buildings for different parties.
Calvin H. Adam served his borough in the following capacities: auditor for four years, and councilman since 1904, serving as secretary of that body; is one of the directors, and was instrumental in getting the automobile works located in Fleetwood; and also took a leading part in having Down Tool Works come to this town. He is an active Democrat and wields influence in his community, being public-spirited and energetic. He is a regular member of the Reformed Church of Fleetwood, and is superintendent of the Sunday school. He belongs to the K. G. E., Castle No. 374, Knights of Pythias No. 167, and others. He is a member of the Board of Trade. Mr. Adam lives with his family on Franklin street, Fleetwood, in his own residence.
On March 6, 1897, Mr. Adam was married to Miss Emily D. Schlegel, daughter of Abraham and Annie (Deysher) Schlegel, and to this union have been born: Helen Marguerite, Pauline Marie (who died aged two years), and Mary.