WILLIAM W. ADAMS, liveryman, Lexington, is the youngest of a family of ten sons and two daughters born to his parents, Jeremiah and Patsey (Scott) Adams.
His father a native of Delaware, was on of the early pioneers of Scott County, Ky., an industrious farmer, an Episcopalian, and an Old-Time Whig, and died at the age of eighty-nine years.
His mother, of an old Harrison County family, lived to the age of ninety-two years.
William was born, September 18, 1828, raised and educated in Scott County, and from early boyhood was used to farm work and the handling of stock.
He began for himself on a farm of 114 acres, lying alongside the Oxford & Leesburg road, eight miles from Georgetown, where he handled stock for the Cincinnati and New Orleans markets from 1852 to 1856, in which latter year he moved to Clay County, Mo., and there dealt in cattle and mules till the war broke out.
In 1859, he married Sallie C., daughter of Dean Megee, of Jessamine County, Ky.
He returned from Missouri to Kentucky in 1861, and for about five years ran a stock farm in Jessamine County; but after the war closed he located close to Versailles, and began there to breed Mambrino trotting horses and thoroughbred cattle till 1874, when he became the partner of John Davis in the conduct of a large livery stable in Lexington, which stable was burned May 22, 1875, with partial loss of stock.
The following month he had leased and begun business in his present stables, on Short street, where he has since remained, devoting his time principally to sales and purchases on commission.
In 1880, he sold from his stables more that $25,000 worth of stock.